Limit for critique?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jackitaylor
Private First Class

Limit for critique?

Postby jackitaylor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:52 am

I am thinking of shelving my novel for a while and start doing some flash fiction and short stories, for practice and maybe I can manage to get something published. I already have something in the critique section right now. Would having a second one, in another genre be too much to have out there at once?

Pat James
Private E-2

Re: Limit for critique?

Postby Pat James » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:17 am

[quote="jackitaylor"]I am thinking of shelving my novel for a while and start doing some flash fiction and short stories, for practice and maybe I can manage to get something published. I already have something in the critique section right now. Would having a second one, in another genre be too much to have out there at once?[/quote]

I took a quiz online at some writing site. They said I should write short stories not a novel.
They pointed out that many novelists started out with short stories.

I do not see a lot of new things posted for review here, so IMHO posting more as you finish them should be okay.

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Postby jackitaylor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks for the reply, Pat. I was thinking that there weren't any new pieces for critique. I posted it. At least, it gives folks here something to do LOL

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Postby jackitaylor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:18 pm

When I copy and paste from the doc i wrote in, the indenting disappears and it ends up all left aligned. Can't figure out how to indent without using the space bar. So far, nobody's complained about the lack of indent for the start of paragraphs

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:21 pm

A very active site for critiques is Scribophile. It's for free or you can pay for more added features. Regardless of the one you use, you will have people critique. Like I said, it is a very active site. I've used it many times over the years - you can get some great insight from readers.

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Postby jackitaylor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:28 pm

Trying to get rid of me, Brien? LOL Thanks for the info about the other site, I will check it out :)

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:09 am

>>When I copy and paste from the doc i wrote in, the indenting disappears and it ends up all left aligned. Can't figure out how to indent without using the space bar. So far, nobody's complained about the lack of indent for the start of paragraphs

Jacki, the forum software (phpBB) does not allow extra spaces or indents in text. So you'll simply have to insert an extra return between paragraphs to show the new paragraph.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:55 pm

Brien Sz wrote:
> A very active site for critiques is Scribophile. It's for free or you can
> pay for more added features. Regardless of the one you use, you will have
> people critique. Like I said, it is a very active site. I've used it many
> times over the years - you can get some great insight from readers.

Thanks for the website.

RobTheThird
Private E-1

Postby RobTheThird » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:11 am

I've been a member of a site called critters.

http://www.critters.org

That site is, and I quote:

> Critters is a member of the Critique.org family of on-line workshops/critique groups,
> and is for serious writers of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror. You get your work
> critiqued in exchange for critiquing the work of others, both of which are invaluable
> ways to improve your writing

I haven't been very active there of late. But I've found the critiques to be quite valuable when I was.

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:45 pm

I think it would be fine.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Return to Writers' Block Party