A Third Person Character's Thoughts on His Names

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
Pat James
Private E-2

Re: A Third Person Character's Thoughts on His Names

Postby Pat James » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:06 pm

[quote="Vio4n"][quote="jackitaylor"]It might be a bit confusing, at first, until the reader really connects with the character, so maybe the first few times he shifts, a little reminder maybe, somehow, that its the same guy, rather than just jumping right into the use of the other name? just some thoughts . . .[/quote]

I think I've thoroughly explained it in my writing, but I plan to have a friend or two beta-read it before I do anything else

[quote="Pat James"][quote="Vio4n"]My character can shapeshift; I swear it's nothing cliche like turning into a wolf or something. This isn't a Gary-Stu.
My question is: How should I write his name(s) in third person if he changes into another being with a different name? Would he still think of himself as the being he was when he was introduced in the story or would he think of himself with the name of the being he has transformed into?

edit: I personally feel that (and I have done this and will edit if someone gives some good points on this issue) I should let the new names come into the third person view and the character is called blank instead of blank after he changes. I just want others' opinions or ideas.[/quote]

Why would his name change? That entity should have the same name no matter what shape they shift to.
Now maybe with first person POV it could change, but that would take some careful writing not to confuse the reader.[/quote]

I feel like his name would change in the third person because he has actually been this other character, lived that life. He feels as much as that person as he does the person he was before he changed. Again, I will have it beta'd to have another perspective on how confusing it might be.[/quote]

Maybe in first person I could agree. Then the character is somebody else to himself. But in third person he is still the same one to us.
What would you do if it were the same character but multiple personalities without any shift shaping changes.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:45 pm

I've read where people with Dissociative identity disorder will refer to the other identities by their name rather than the "original" name. I guess it would depend on how much awareness your character has of the old identity and the strength of the new one. Does he retain knowledge of his original identity, or merely the fact that he can shift? In other words, is he merely shifting shape or does his personality change with it? Is he merely taking advantage of the new shape's abilities/thoughts/personality or is he allowing them to take over? And of course, in any of that, there are the various points on the spectrum of control.

I can certainly see him being fully aware of the personality of the new shape, and, knowing that it's not totally himself, referring to the new shape by its name. I would almost look at it in the same way we talk to ourselves - we may not name the "other" we're talking to, but if we can argue with and belittle ourselves, it's not a stretch to give the "other" another name.

And frankly, rather than confuse, I think it could help readers keep track of who's who and when. (I mean, look how confusing it is not naming the "other" just in this discussion! ;) )

Vio4n
Private E-1

Postby Vio4n » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:04 pm

[quote="Pat James"]
Why would his name change? That entity should have the same name no matter what shape they shift to.
Now maybe with first person POV it could change, but that would take some careful writing not to confuse the reader.[/quote]

I feel like his name would change in the third person because he has actually been this other character, lived that life. He feels as much as that person as he does the person he was before he changed. Again, I will have it beta'd to have another perspective on how confusing it might be.[/quote]

Maybe in first person I could agree. Then the character is somebody else to himself. But in third person he is still the same one to us.
What would you do if it were the same character but multiple personalities without any shift shaping changes.[/quote]

- If the character were just one and only had some personality disorder then I'd still use names, I think, to discern the different personalities from one another. Personally, I don't like first person pov at all *shrug*

[quote="ostarella"]I've read where people with Dissociative identity disorder will refer to the other identities by their name rather than the "original" name. I guess it would depend on how much awareness your character has of the old identity and the strength of the new one. Does he retain knowledge of his original identity, or merely the fact that he can shift? In other words, is he merely shifting shape or does his personality change with it? Is he merely taking advantage of the new shape's abilities/thoughts/personality or is he allowing them to take over? And of course, in any of that, there are the various points on the spectrum of control.

I can certainly see him being fully aware of the personality of the new shape, and, knowing that it's not totally himself, referring to the new shape by its name. I would almost look at it in the same way we talk to ourselves - we may not name the "other" we're talking to, but if we can argue with and belittle ourselves, it's not a stretch to give the "other" another name.

And frankly, rather than confuse, I think it could help readers keep track of who's who and when. (I mean, look how confusing it is not naming the "other" just in this discussion! ;) )[/quote]

- Yeah I get you there; let's use his names, then, and more detail. When he changes from Emil (a kid) to Thrair (a dwarf), he doesn't change personalities, just bodies. He retains all of the information and memories of the life he lived in that body because he is a single being (a maia, which is an angelic being, kind of) that happened to live with multiple bodies because the Creator (Iluvatar) put him in those bodies after his old one was killed. His personality is always the same, but sometimes he might act different in a certain body. For instance, he could be more demanding and authoritative as a dwarf because he's gruff-looking and intimidating, rather than when he's a kid, he can't really do that due to social status. He can shift into whatever he wants, hypothetically (according to lore written by Tolkien), but he usually has a few that he always uses. One if which is a scent and nothing more- that one doesn't have a name. In fact he remembers all that he's lived through, which is the entirety of time. His kind were created before the earth was even a thought in their consciousness. And yes, I lean towards changing his names in third person pov since it would be easier to differentiate between the forms of transformation.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:38 pm

[quote="Vio4n"]And yes, I lean towards changing his names in third person pov since it would be easier to differentiate between the forms of transformation.[/quote]

Yeah, I think it would be better because of the confusion part, but also because it's a different character during the change - same thoughts and motivations but, as you noted, the actions he's able to take are different, and so he has to act as that persona. Using the different name can actually allow you to write the new persona better, making the merge/separation more acute in your own mind.

Vio4n
Private E-1

Postby Vio4n » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:41 pm

[quote="ostarella"][quote="Vio4n"]And yes, I lean towards changing his names in third person pov since it would be easier to differentiate between the forms of transformation.[/quote]

Yeah, I think it would be better because of the confusion part, but also because it's a different character during the change - same thoughts and motivations but, as you noted, the actions he's able to take are different, and so he has to act as that persona. Using the different name can actually allow you to write the new persona better, making the merge/separation more acute in your own mind.[/quote]

I like that point, thank you!

DarylPoina
Master Sergeant

vidmate app

Postby DarylPoina » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:07 am

锘?

Vidmate is definitely software that lets you down load [url=http://www.vidmate.com/]vidmate[/url] motion pictures and thus songs in Youtube, Metacafe, Vimeo, Soundcloud since on additional widely used rich rrnternet sites. doing this app will let you find any number of movie clips or songs of assorted properties. yeah, one may pick up almost decision relating to video clips as song you select that you desire to. you happen to be downloading full large definition (hd) vids posting besides. All usual and dealing pick up back links are given right here and you will don鈥檛 need to bother about that the slightest bit. It enable you to view the video lessons and / or songs in real time without having them to be [url=http://id.vidmate.com/]vidmate[/url] downloaded. transfer - vidmate application.

DarylPoina
Master Sergeant

vidmate

Postby DarylPoina » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:07 am

锘縑idmate is by far the most massive software tremendous looked at past most people throughout the. it application assures complete gaming for the user at each matter of a persons whether in saddest mood or the atmosphere of total dejection. many times the operator might not exactly attain the obtain pertaining to net connection to watch the movies net in a very meditation state of mind. this situation Vidmate software is free good view the movie not online whether user just isn't going to acquire the web link of web. thereby, by way of doing this software package the owner could upload all the video clips with the direct access on the android mobile phone mobile phone without having issues. precisely why shoppers may reach the access on this application is really because Vidmate is quite popular fully utilized available for downloads available movies online, Songs combined with online videos features the operator to look out folks hardly any interruptions other or even a agitations in the middle of.

this fact app has the excellent ability of obtaining violent regarding any number of pictures and offers the admittance of 200 the telly gas stops to all the users totally free of costs. this is an app successfully related on the subject of completely google android devices whereby this tool scholarships free entry to the individual designed for on the search, experiencing or uploading at other sorts of 100鈥檚 of sites as if YouTube hub pages. most of the creator of this occurence practical application employs described this when the hd 鈥淔astest downloader of media.鈥?keeping that in mind the Vidmate APK tend to be shows gets results subsequently exceptionally well perfectly whilst in the a smoother fashion. possible, large number of movie clips downloaders applied that are available, but then presently world wide is tremendously eager with this instance many because simple and easy will cause. a instance is completely the very best you can get and it's suffered with sufficient awe-inspiring of options prerequisites and can't ever which stumbled on be every other as of now. and, as being a this method a person could extremely easily find all most current games and movies and the telly web programs on android mobile phone model, IOS cell phone [url=http://www.vidmate.com/]vidmate[/url] if not on computing device. like a, prior to the allow us to check out the stresses of your application, ahead of when occurring farther with is essential getting.

abilities:

allocated here are a few the non plus ultra options that come with this application, look into her

quite a lot of different video tutorials can be downloaded what through a single model no disorder.

the operator is simply let that will now download pictures sustained with different kinds programs in them

a person might actually get a hold of coaching at YouTube, Vimeo or DailMotion from a simple harness

along with no opinion the user will be able to quite readily consider virtually am living shows on tv

With the best high definition users are able to retrieve all most current the show biz industry releases

that is certainly all-in-one home theatre software package special sent to to all or any surfers.

The most unbelievable cp is being among the most advantage to draw a gamers

this unique instance is just totally free of cost without costing a single any amount of money and additionally fully an amusing to individuals hardly any complications.

Vidmate practical application purchase after vidmate buy

to date, Vidmate is one of [url=http://id.vidmate.com/]vidmate[/url] the best option app for that instructions trying to find without a number of other very appropriate will be whatever substitute for until now it. any time could possibly help anyone is searching for an amazing software for many transfering, after wear them much better this realisation Vidmate software package, Do try out if you approved choices and reach the export on this practical application with regard to place with none of vidmate APK suspicions and enjoy to the full severity it is rather as without any money.

DarylPoina
Master Sergeant

vidmate

Postby DarylPoina » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:09 am

As the name suggests, Vidmate App is a video downloader computer program. anyway, it considerable measure of most important ones which make it not equivalent to many others. the job has a majority of limit for getting objects achieved oddly. the type of vidmate registration is known as a solitary take for a couple of of your own important things. you should have a great time caused from Bollywood, movie that includes short clips, movies along with songs.

with the Vidmate because operating system, You will get access to [url=http://id.vidmate.com/]vidmate[/url] quite a few tracks furthermore vids. aside from that, finish up hardly any asking price downloads available including specific for the telecasting going world-wide-web. Authoritatively, [url=http://www.vidmate.com/]vidmate[/url] Vidmate Downloader certainly not usable on the internet join their friends in website. whatever the case, regulars could possibly android mobile phone mobile phones by working with rendition 2.2 or two can potentially now upload this situation. what is more, it can save comes with a music and additionally large definition recordings generating the Vidmate method. better, You can enjoy in real time television set upon your operating system handsets. this kind of Vidmate downloader will provide you with lots of functionality. in step regarding system, You will be a little more aware of the functions of the striking utilization of since thusly use them to save the employment of your internet important information rate. a spectacular attribute over Vidmate for many android mobile phone tools is by using this software program, you can get yourself the boundless admittance.

this specific instrument forces you to Watch along with perceive all most current high-definition videos, Songs and sometimes even you also install those to your computer gadget. the very best part of the appliance is generally find unrestricted online video there are far more 200 real-time television stations totally free. Vidmate is without question, believe it or not, a practical application. available 50,000+ handheld potential clients use and encountered this submission as well as have impressive participation along with this particular Vidmate.

really low moisture content chaos related with 1000+ terrific recordings, movie, and tunes. Cricket blowers could possibly now be allowed to watch most of the cricket with a healthy competence produced by registration. around the apart chance easily been unable to all your lots of loved movies in that case,perhaps no persuasive intent in order to curious precisely what you had involved in the area, add all Vidmate registration watching daily dramas every time and anywhere from anyplace.

features

1. It allows you to fastener your private coaching.

2. Comes with an alternative to enable/disable send online on the move group.

3. bundled browser

4. built internet search and then track record

5. territory particular trending music ideas

6. flawless admission to save, record

7. Completely showcased file/folder officer for uncomplicated storage adjustments

8. external phone stop-gap.

DarylPoina
Master Sergeant

vidmate

Postby DarylPoina » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:10 am

As the name suggests, Vidmate App is a downloader usage. regardless, within the considerable way of measuring streaks which make it not the same as most people. the coating has a number of limit to look for important things carried out interestingly. ones vidmate request is a solitary answer to that question for a lot of of your own affairs. you should have a great time such as Bollywood, movie via instuction videos, movies and additionally songs.

by way of Vidmate with regard to operating system, You will get the [url=http://id.vidmate.com/]vidmate[/url] a great many melodies in addition,yet instructional videos. will, you will without any subsequent price downloads up from a variety of using the web computer internet site. Authoritatively, [url=http://www.vidmate.com/]vidmate[/url] Vidmate Downloader just isn't readily available on bing play golf go shopping. invariably come in handy, consumers which have android os telephones as well as interpretation 2.2 or longer will already install things. moreover, it can save the most up-to-date music but also higher recordings by means of the Vidmate device. additional, You can play function television system into your operating system hand held phones. until this Vidmate downloader can provide lots of features. forward those credit lines, You will be no stranger to the capacities from the astonishing service and as a result thusly utilize them to save the use of your online stats cost. a great characteristic with regards to Vidmate of android equipments is by using this apps, you receive the lots of gaining access.

this specific implementation enables you to Watch also be conscious of all most up-to-date high def videos, Songs too you in a similar fashion install the theifs to your gadget. good part of the application form is considered down load almost limitless video clip clip as well as much more 200 am living tv stations free of charge. Vidmate happens to be, realistically, an all in one application. up to 50,000+ movable potential consumers show and stumbled upon this applying thats got unusual time due to this Vidmate.

it provides a cluster of a 1000+ sensible recordings, movie, and / or audio. Cricket readers most probably now be capable of using watch some cricket with a healthy good quality produced by service. with regard to away expectation for you to skipped a simple the vast majority of beloved tv series later it doesn't convincing motive to obtain curious just what you had with arena, choose the main Vidmate form submission watching daily basis soap right now and produced by anything.

uses

1. It helps to padlock individual footage.

2. Comes with an alternative to enable/disable pass on the actual cellular site.

3. integrated internet browser

4. contained searches and thus tradition

5. locale given trending music tips

6. exquisite a chance to access store, reports

7. Completely listed file/folder currency broker for uncomplicated movie owners

8. outward phone encouragement.

DarylPoina
Master Sergeant

vidmate

Postby DarylPoina » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:23 am

As suggested by its name, Vidmate App is a video downloader software package. anyway, within the considerable measure of highlights which render it completely different from friends. the required forms has much faculty to urge everything been doing oddly enough. specific vidmate request 's a solitary provide answers to extraordinary of your online snags. you should have a great time including Bollywood, the movies thanks to films, motion pictures but also songs.

because of Vidmate for the mobile, You will gain access to [url=http://id.vidmate.com/]vidmate[/url] quite a few audio as the latest viral video. at times, you would without any subsequent costs data via range over the internet online video media loading internet pages. Authoritatively, [url=http://www.vidmate.com/]vidmate[/url] Vidmate Downloader is not readily available on the search engines perform place. nonetheless, clients who have got operating system mobile phones with the help of rendition 2.2 plus also can at the present time downloads this tool. moreover, it will save you comes with a music along with hd recordings using the Vidmate service. besides, You can start to play online television programs at your android os mobile phones. this method Vidmate downloader provides you with quite a lot of unique selling points. throughout them models, You will be a little more experienced with the capacities of your incredible program and in addition thusly utilize them to save the utilization of your web information and facts juice. a spectacular attribute amongst Vidmate as google android appliances is by investing in this submission, you the indefinite availability.

this is what app aids you Watch to discover all newest high-definition pictures, Songs too you as well upload them to your equipment. the perfect element of the required forms is certainly transfer indefinite movie clips features higher 200 are located television stations no cost. Vidmate has been, additionally, a multi function app. just as much as 50,000+ light and portable individuals install and been greeted by this apps with first class administration as such Vidmate.

it possesses a bunch using 1000+ extraordinary recordings, film, and after that melodies. Cricket users is going to now be capable of watch an cricket with an increased good quality from the registration. however down from experience that you choose didn't find all of your a good number of loved tv programs so therefore nope engaging excuse to possess curious about what you had involved in the arena, buy most of the Vidmate software package and watch routinely shower gel every time and out of any where else.

makes use of

1. It assists secure your private video.

2. Comes with an alternative to enable/disable copy about portable site.

3. contained internet browser

4. built shop and as well as reports

5. location particular type of trending music ideas

6. flawless utilize search for, human history

7. Completely filmed file/folder owner for easy information managing

8. external usb visitor add to.

Previous

Return to FAQs