Another New Writer

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

Vio4n
Private E-1

Another New Writer

Postby Vio4n » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:29 pm

Well, here it goes.

I'm a high school junior looking to be a full time professional violinist- shocker! I mainly write fanfictions that I won't post on here... they're probably never going to be entirely finished, anyway. I will want to be a full time member here to simply ask for advice/question my own choices I make as a writer. I.e: how do I do this, why might this be a bad or good idea, etc. Just little things like that. Maybe I will post some of my content here, but if I ever do it will 100% be on fanfiction.net.

Let's see, is there anything I'm missing...
I'm currently taken over by Tolkien's works... and I practice too much to socialize. I think that about covers it. :D

Lbeauchesne
Private First Class

Re: Another New Writer

Postby Lbeauchesne » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:46 pm

Welcome! :D
We're a fairly friendly group on here and willing to help out with any questions you have. Love the violin, I can just about play the piano, so not much help in the music department.
Formerly known as MsMotty/Linzi82

Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them so that others may also share in our triumphs.

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:08 pm

Welcome!

Interested to hear about your violin playing. I am a former composer, play piano, and taught Music Theory for 41 years at the Oberlin Conservatory. So if you have any music questions, send them my way! :)

Otherwise, feel free to post your questions, and I'm sure some of the good people here will be happy to answer them!

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

Vio4n
Private E-1

Postby Vio4n » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:16 pm

That's so amazing to hear! I've heard about Oberlin a few times. What have you composed?

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:28 pm

I have composed works for full orchestra, chamber orchestra, string orchestra, string quartet, violin and piano, voice, solo piano, and various combinations of instruments. My works have been performed by the Buffalo Philharmonic and the Cleveland Chamber Symphony, as well as by the Oberlin Orchestra and Chamber Orchestra.

At a certain point I decided to substitute writing about music for writing music, and I became a professional Music Theorist. My second book, Elements of Sonata Theory, co-authored with the chair of the Yale Music Department, is used in conservatories and music schools across the country, as well as on the other side of the Atlantic.

Now, however, I devote my time to writing ultra-gory thrillers. :)

I look forward to your posts!

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

Return to Introductions