A Third Person Character's Thoughts on His Names

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
Vio4n
Private E-1

A Third Person Character's Thoughts on His Names

Postby Vio4n » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:08 pm

My character can shapeshift; I swear it's nothing cliche like turning into a wolf or something. This isn't a Gary-Stu.
My question is: How should I write his name(s) in third person if he changes into another being with a different name? Would he still think of himself as the being he was when he was introduced in the story or would he think of himself with the name of the being he has transformed into?

edit: I personally feel that (and I have done this and will edit if someone gives some good points on this issue) I should let the new names come into the third person view and the character is called blank instead of blank after he changes. I just want others' opinions or ideas.

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Re: A Third Person Character's Thoughts on His Names

Postby jackitaylor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:23 pm

That might depend on how much he feels like the shape he has taken. Unless you are referring to another person, or specific animal like he shapeshifted into his neighbor, Joe, or his dog, Fluff. It wouldn't work to say "Joe walked through the door". If it's not really joe. If he becomes a wolf or cat, does he still feel like himself, or does he think and act like a wolf or cat? Maybe, then he could call himself "The wolf" or cat. This is my thoughts on it, what little I know. Or perhaps, i misunderstand your question.

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Postby jackitaylor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:26 pm

What I meant to say was, saying "joe walked through the door" when it wasn't really Joe, would be confusing. again, my opinion.

Vio4n
Private E-1

Postby Vio4n » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:27 pm

Yeah, I get it; your reasoning makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks.

Vio4n
Private E-1

Postby Vio4n » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:33 pm

... but the character isn't changing into anyone that's already there. These other forms were him, also, and those forms have different names.

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Postby jackitaylor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:36 pm

oh, now that sounds interesting! Good premise. So yeah, if his other forms, each have a personal name, yeah, use it, so long as the reader can understand that all those names are actually one person, in different personas.

Vio4n
Private E-1

Postby Vio4n » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Alright, that makes much more sense! Thanks for the help. Thankfully I did have a backstory/history kind of thing going on at the beginning with everything that happened before the present time, mentioning all the personas he changed into and what happened. It's just a *little* complicated.

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Postby jackitaylor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:47 pm

It might be a bit confusing, at first, until the reader really connects with the character, so maybe the first few times he shifts, a little reminder maybe, somehow, that its the same guy, rather than just jumping right into the use of the other name? just some thoughts . . .

Pat James
Private E-2

Postby Pat James » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:49 pm

[quote="Vio4n"]My character can shapeshift; I swear it's nothing cliche like turning into a wolf or something. This isn't a Gary-Stu.
My question is: How should I write his name(s) in third person if he changes into another being with a different name? Would he still think of himself as the being he was when he was introduced in the story or would he think of himself with the name of the being he has transformed into?

edit: I personally feel that (and I have done this and will edit if someone gives some good points on this issue) I should let the new names come into the third person view and the character is called blank instead of blank after he changes. I just want others' opinions or ideas.[/quote]

Why would his name change? That entity should have the same name no matter what shape they shift to.
Now maybe with first person POV it could change, but that would take some careful writing not to confuse the reader.

Vio4n
Private E-1

Postby Vio4n » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:55 pm

[quote="jackitaylor"]It might be a bit confusing, at first, until the reader really connects with the character, so maybe the first few times he shifts, a little reminder maybe, somehow, that its the same guy, rather than just jumping right into the use of the other name? just some thoughts . . .[/quote]

I think I've thoroughly explained it in my writing, but I plan to have a friend or two beta-read it before I do anything else

[quote="Pat James"][quote="Vio4n"]My character can shapeshift; I swear it's nothing cliche like turning into a wolf or something. This isn't a Gary-Stu.

edit: I personally feel that (and I have done this and will edit if someone gives some good points on this issue) I should let the new names come into the third person view and the character is called blank instead of blank after he changes. I just want others' opinions or ideas.[/quote]

Why would his name change? That entity should have the same name no matter what shape they shift to.
Now maybe with first person POV it could change, but that would take some careful writing not to confuse the reader.[/quote]

I feel like his name would change in the third person because he has actually been this other character, lived that life. He feels as much as that person as he does the person he was before he changed. Again, I will have it beta'd to have another perspective on how confusing it might be.

Next

Return to FAQs