what is/are the best niche(s) to help sales

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
rob-lost
Corporal

Re: what is/are the best niche(s) to help sales

Postby rob-lost » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:40 pm

==the link had some good points and some bad ones
very interesting but not a method to teach HOW to write==
That's not what the article was intended to accomplish.

That's the teacher's job.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:42 pm

==isnt it easier to write that entire novel when you know what the story is and where it is going==
You keep asking the wrong questions.

There is more than one way to accomplish the above.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:55 pm

[quote="rob-lost"]==isnt it easier to write that entire novel when you know what the story is and where it is going==
You keep asking the wrong questions.

There is more than one way to accomplish the above.[/quote]
=========

you are so confused

there is one best way to do it
i keep asking the right questions

how does your method work
and how does it compare to other approaches

you cant tell HOW your method works

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:06 pm

May as well give up, rob. You can't teach people who don't want to learn. Post corrections to his misinformation and ignore the rest.

Lbeauchesne
Private First Class

Postby Lbeauchesne » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:13 pm

You have been told how. It isn't anyone's fault that you decided that, rather than do a bit of research into how I and others worded it, you just want people to hand you a how-to-guide rather than doing the research into putting this guide together that you seem so happy to do when it's for planning.
Newsflash: people are not going to do that work for you.
Look into dressage (the analogy that I used) watch a video of a few different tests (GP, GPS and freestyle/kur), look at training discussions in any sport of your choice. You will find what you are looking for if you actually bother to look for it.
Heck, I'll hand one ongoing, and highly controversial training discussion to you pretty much on a plate. Go onto a equestrian forum and look at the discussions of modern vs. classical. You'll find the same type of argument going on in those.
Example: An advocate of modern training (or hyperflexion/rollkur/LDR) will tell you that classical training is boring, it's too structured, regimented, doesn't work for dressage today. An advocate of classical training will tell you that modern training techniques are wrong, cruel, abuse, cheating.
The argument has been going on since the mid 90's and doesn't look like being resolved any time soon. Go have a look, just don't say I didn't warn you if you come across insults you've never heard before when reading through the discussions.
The only thing everyone in dressage agrees on is that, done well, a test is like a work of art. They just don't agree on what that test should look like.
Formerly known as MsMotty/Linzi82

Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them so that others may also share in our triumphs.

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Postby jackitaylor » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:34 pm

If a scientist were to postulate that all swans are white, and then discovers a black swan, clearly his hypothesis is flawed. A good scientist would then change his hypothesis, instead of saying "oh dont look at that black swan over there, thats an anomaly, all swans are white." That seems to me what you are doing Mike. You say that planning is the one and only right way to write and that pantsing leads to failure, then that means that there is not one single example of a pantser that has succeeded, right? You have already stated Stephen King does, along with a few others. You have found your black swan MIke, whether it is a rare occurrence or not, doesn't change the fact that one exists. Perhaps most people can't pants it and succeed, well most people can't juggle flaming batons either, everyone has their own specialties, everyone is different. I don't understand why you are so upset about how other people write, Mike.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:16 pm

[quote="ostarella"]May as well give up, rob. You can't teach people who don't want to learn. Post corrections to his misinformation and ignore the rest.[/quote]
====

more insults because you have nothing else

i ahve posted nothing that is incorrect
good luck replying with anything but your opinion that has no basis in fact and no evidence to support it

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:22 pm

[quote="jackitaylor"]If a scientist were to postulate that all swans are white, and then discovers a black swan, clearly his hypothesis is flawed. A good scientist would then change his hypothesis, instead of saying "oh dont look at that black swan over there, thats an anomaly, all swans are white." That seems to me what you are doing Mike. You say that planning is the one and only right way to write and that pantsing leads to failure, then that means that there is not one single example of a pantser that has succeeded, right? You have already stated Stephen King does, along with a few others. You have found your black swan MIke, whether it is a rare occurrence or not, doesn't change the fact that one exists. Perhaps most people can't pants it and succeed, well most people can't juggle flaming batons either, everyone has their own specialties, everyone is different. I don't understand why you are so upset about how other people write, Mike.[/quote]
========

nope

i know black swans
and taleb who wrote the book on black swans

i am stating that there is a method that works
there may be others
so far nobody has shown any evidence that any thing else is different from the thousand monkeys typing to produce shakespeare eventually

i am saying that so far all i have seen from pantsers was failure and poor quality results that took too long to achieve
in business that is a fail

i have not found a black swan
king and james both outline
they just dont admit it
and they do it differently than others may do

at their level they can do much in their head to get the story architecture correct
then writing the details is also easy for them

if that works for you and you have the skill then pants away
if you find it is not working that well then consider dropping back ten yards but dont punt yet until you have tried some planning

i really dont care how anybody writes
what upsets me is nobody can tell me HOW they do it with enough detail to teach that method in a class

i can find a tonne of info on how to plan and organise and 'outline' a novel and succeed
the only two books on pantsing failed in that they are not really pantsing at all but are outlining and calling it with another name

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:26 pm

==so far nobody has shown any evidence that any thing else is different from the thousand monkeys typing to produce shakespeare eventually ==
So each of those authors that you've repeatedly been reminded about, published, best-selling authors, are nothing better than monkeys at keyboards?

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party