frustrated with flashback scene

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mike m.
Master Sergeant

Re: frustrated with flashback scene

Postby mike m. » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:53 pm

[quote="robjvargas"]@jackitaylor:
==I'm trying to stick to what is only necessary to the scene==
You might be overthinking it.

When I'm writing, I try to NOT think of scenes as scenes. Instead, I try to imagine myself in that moment. What would I take in? Would I, as an I.T. geek, even know one art school from another? Would a man notice the woman's hair in a given moment?

Remember, even if you're writing in an omniscient POV, your characters are only going to take in so much in a moment.[/quote]
========

why not just imagine yourself in the middle of the scene observing and reporting what happens

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Postby jackitaylor » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:02 am

That's actually what i meant mike. I don't believe it matters what you call the moment, a scene, an act, a segment, section, a moment in time. But yes, the elements or details that the POV character would notice as opposed to what they would not, described according to what that character knows or is familiar with already. So one IT geek might have also been into art and would know the art schools, where as most maybe wouldn't. Or a poverty stricken character not recognizing a designer label shirt, most likely. they might only note that it looks pricey, if they notice it at all. A person, in their own home is not going to take much notice of their own furniture, unless something is significant at that moment for what ever reason. yes, stuff like that, that's what I meant :)

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:59 am

that makes sense to me

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party