anonymous POV

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jackitaylor
Private First Class

anonymous POV

Postby jackitaylor » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:07 pm

How would you guys feel about a small section (aprox 1000 words), separated by asterisks or whatever, that got into a different character's head but the character remains unnamed for the scene? She won't stay unnamed for the book, nor for long. Would it add to the mystery or is it just annoying? Im sure there will be some varying opinions here.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: anonymous POV

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:16 pm

I'm pretty sure I'd have trouble with that. I'd need some kind of link up to 'ground' me. I'd probably think you cut a section and pasted it in the wrong place.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:18 pm

I think it would depend on the POV. If the rest of the story is 3rd person, and the anonymous part were 1st person, I've seen that done quite frequently. But if it was the same POV as the rest of the story, then I'd agree with Oldtimer - it would seem odd, out of place.
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Postby jackitaylor » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:31 pm

Im actually considering making a few sections or chapters that jump into first person, but was unsure if that would be accepted. It is a fairly deep 3rd right now. sometimes, when im a bit stuck on a scene that is coming off wrong or awkward, i rewrite it in a different POV, like doing 1st instead of 3rd or vice versa, it seems to stimulate the muse in me, then i pull out the good stuff and weave it back into the original scene. but some of them, i like so much, i want it to stay as it is.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:51 pm

[quote="jackitaylor"]How would you guys feel about a small section (aprox 1000 words), separated by asterisks or whatever, that got into a different character's head but the character remains unnamed for the scene? She won't stay unnamed for the book, nor for long. Would it add to the mystery or is it just annoying? Im sure there will be some varying opinions here.[/quote]
======

the way you describe it sounds annoying

perhaps when i see the actual writing it might work

Return to Writers' Block Party