eight books show you 95% of how to write your novel

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mike m.
Master Sergeant

eight books show you 95% of how to write your novel

Postby mike m. » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:29 pm

https://proseonfire.com/write-a-kickass-novel/

8 Books That Will Teach You 95% of What You Need To Write a Kickass Novel

check the link to see the books

monica loewell chose these books on a couple different criteria:

Did I get A-ha! moments while I was reading this? I didn’t want to include anything that felt like more of the same, so I only put material that I felt had a fresh take on an old subject on this list.
Was the book easy to understand? Some authors take an academic approach to the art of storytelling, which doesn’t jive well with me. If I can’t figure out what to do or how to revise, the theory is worthless to me. I picked the books that felt immediately actionable to me when I read them the first time.
Was the book aimed at commercial writers? I’m not particularly interested in literary fiction and most authors trying to go full-time aren’t either. If I didn’t see the underlying marketing genius behind someone’s approach to storytelling, I didn’t bother adding them to this list.
Do I refer back to the book regularly? I’ve read almost all of these books multiple times and will continue to do so in the future—I always learn something new and fresh!
Is there more where that came from? I looked for authors who had multiple works available, because once I find a mentor I like to stick with him or her for awhile. Not every author on this list has follow-ups, but most do or will in the future!
I also organized the bundle so that it covered all the bases for high-level architecture, plotting, characterization, world-building, and more. (The one area where I still don’t feel I’ve found any solid book on is theme—which is why it’s going to be at the forefront of my own book, Nail Your Story.) I didn’t want a ton of repetition, though obviously there will be some overlap. And there is way more to cover than what’s here, but if you won (or purchased) just these 8 books and followed through on them, you would have a really solid foundation for storytelling that you could totally build your author career on!

Lastly, all these books are books I was already planning to recommend in Nail Your Story. A lot of people have asked me for this book, but the truth is there are already tons of great books out there that will help you outline, finish your first draft, or revise your book. The trouble is wading through them all! But I’m happy to help with my personal recommendations. Here’s the list and why I picked each book:

see the link for all the books

#2 – Take Off Your Pants! by Libbie Hawker

Take Off Your PantsI loved this super simple approach to outlining from Hawker from the minute I heard about it. It’s perfect for plotters or pantsers. My favorite part is Hawker’s practical and easy-to-implement ideas about letting the character’s fatal flaw (and subsequent attempts to overcome that flaw) drive the story forward. She says she got all her ideas from Anatomy of Storytelling, but they all felt fresh to me—not sure we were even reading the same book, really! Additionally, this book is hot, hot, hot on Amazon right now and seems to be helping a ton of people!

pls
Site Admin

Re: eight books show you 95% of how to write your novel

Postby pls » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:33 am

I find it odd that, inasmuch as you stated "Fiction is irrelevant" elsewhere, you'd post this, even if it doesn't discuss eight books about novel writing.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:22 am

[quote="pls"]I find it odd that, inasmuch as you stated "Fiction is irrelevant" elsewhere, you'd post this, even if it doesn't discuss eight books about novel writing.[/quote]
=======

fiction is irrelevant
it is for fun and amusement
novels wont solve hunger or world peace or ....

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:04 pm

==
fiction is irrelevant
it is for fun and amusement
novels wont solve hunger or world peace or ....
==

Tell that to Upton Sinclair. His novel, The Jungle, changed the USA's view of the meatpacking industry.

Which points out something. Just because it's fiction, doesn't mean there isn't truth in the writing. Even factual truth.

NO book solves anything. But one (or more) may inspire others to find solutions.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Lbeauchesne
Private First Class

Postby Lbeauchesne » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:24 pm

The depiction of the effects of the usage of bearing reins on horses in Black Beauty caused so much public outrage that it's use was banned in the UK. It also led to changes in charges for taxicab drivers who were suffering from the high cost of a licence, being further penalised with low fixed fares, leading to overwork of both drivers and horses.
There are plenty of "irrelevant" fiction books that have brought change to the world. They may not have the solutions to world problems contained within their pages, but the themes can cause people to think and talk. It is in the discussions of the topics that workable solutions get found to sometimes seemingly impossible problems.
Formerly known as MsMotty/Linzi82

Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them so that others may also share in our triumphs.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:03 pm

A J Cronin. Aldous Huxley. Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. Charles Dickens. Chinua Achebe. Erich Maria Remarque. Ernest Hemingway. George Orwell. Harper Lee. Harriet Beecher Stowe. J D Salinger. John Steinbeck. Mark Twain. Robert Tressell. Upton Sinclair.

Tell them their novels were irrelevant.
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

Dreaming Imrryr
Sergeant First Class

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:35 am

What's teh other 5 percent? :)

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:49 am

[quote="Dreaming Imrryr"]What's teh other 5 percent? :)[/quote]
=========

good question
i think it was just to avoid claiming it was 100% complete

MayaS
Private E-1

Postby MayaS » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:26 am

On the subject of fiction and its relevance, I have wondered about this, to be honest.

I've asked myself WHY write fiction? HOW is that helping anybody?

Then I realized it's helped me. It's a way to escape, but it's also a way to learn certain values by "example" -- even if the example is set by fictional characters. It also makes you think, for me, at least, it makes me think more than any non-fiction book can.

And it's fun. :) I think people underestimate the value of having fun.It's my belief that no one can ever be the best version of themselves unless they have at least a bit of fun here and there.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:34 am

[quote="MayaS"]On the subject of fiction and its relevance, I have wondered about this, to be honest.

I've asked myself WHY write fiction? HOW is that helping anybody?

Then I realized it's helped me. It's a way to escape, but it's also a way to learn certain values by "example" -- even if the example is set by fictional characters. It also makes you think, for me, at least, it makes me think more than any non-fiction book can.

And it's fun. :) I think people underestimate the value of having fun.It's my belief that no one can ever be the best version of themselves unless they have at least a bit of fun here and there.[/quote]

Definitely agree. It allows me to explore my own thoughts and values - but it also forces me to explore others'. Can't have a believable antagonist if one doesn't make them real, and that means trying to understand values that are so alien to one's own.

And yes - the fun! I can't imagine voluntarily doing anything that I didn't enjoy. Even the frustrations provide a challenge I enjoy - nothing better than that "AHA!" moment when the problem "magically" disappears. :D
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party