2017 Writers' Lounge

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: 2017 Writers' Lounge

Postby ostarella » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:34 pm

[quote="Lbeauchesne"]I seem to be developing a small group of friends that I have a love-hate relationship with. I promised a couple of friends in Cologne that I would translate my book into German for them, but that they might need to wait a while as I need to prioritise my Masters. "Ah, but you are fluent in German, you can do this over the summer." One of my friends in La Rochelle spotted me working on the translation. I now have a request to translate it into French, as soon as I am finished with the German translation. "It won't take long, you could probably do it in a couple of weeks. You have plenty of time to do the masters."
I wonder if it's too late to change the subject of my masters?[/quote]

Or maybe go incommunicado with those particular friends for a while. ;)

Seriously, though, your masters should take priority over everything else, and if your friends don't get that, well... they'll get it over it.
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

Lbeauchesne
Private First Class

Postby Lbeauchesne » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:24 pm

[quote="mike m."][quote="Lbeauchesne"]I seem to be developing a small group of friends that I have a love-hate relationship with. I promised a couple of friends in Cologne that I would translate my book into German for them, but that they might need to wait a while as I need to prioritise my Masters. "Ah, but you are fluent in German, you can do this over the summer." One of my friends in La Rochelle spotted me working on the translation. I now have a request to translate it into French, as soon as I am finished with the German translation. "It won't take long, you could probably do it in a couple of weeks. You have plenty of time to do the masters."
I wonder if it's too late to change the subject of my masters?[/quote]
======

dunno
what is the subject of your masters

i would run it through a couple of translation engines
and then just edit it instead of doing it all from scratch[/quote]

The effects of chemical changes on marine life. It was a bit of a joke, a musing that, as a biochemistry graduate, I could do forensic pathology ;) . But that's not offered at the uni.
It would be easier to just run it all through translation software. But there are some words and phrases that don't translate well, so, rather than read through and trying to find them later, I'm just translating myself.

@Ostarella: I would avoid them if I could, but I have to work with a couple of the French ones. Thankfully, I know (hope) they are pulling my leg and know it's finished when it's finished. I had similar with friends in the UK when I was writing the original. I'm currently just doing a page or 2 when I can be bothered.
Formerly known as MsMotty/Linzi82

Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them so that others may also share in our triumphs.

Noizchild
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Noizchild » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:04 pm

I forgot to call and check on the progress of Webs.com today.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Lbeauchesne
Private First Class

Postby Lbeauchesne » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:30 am

Writing is going to go on a go-slow for a few days. Tripped up at work last night and currently down to one hand as other is in a sling. I got fed up earlier and tried to use it (stuff doctors what do they know? :roll: ) OH saw me and told me off. I now have a collie guard ensuring I behave.

Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them so that others may also share in our triumphs.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:17 am

[quote="Lbeauchesne"]Writing is going to go on a go-slow for a few days. Tripped up at work last night and currently down to one hand as other is in a sling. I got fed up earlier and tried to use it (stuff doctors what do they know? :roll: ) OH saw me and told me off. I now have a collie guard ensuring I behave.[/quote]
======

voice to text program

dragon and others

you can talk your story and the pc types it on the screen for you

Lbeauchesne
Private First Class

Postby Lbeauchesne » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:45 am

[quote="mike m."][quote="Lbeauchesne"]Writing is going to go on a go-slow for a few days. Tripped up at work last night and currently down to one hand as other is in a sling. I got fed up earlier and tried to use it (stuff doctors what do they know? :roll: ) OH saw me and told me off. I now have a collie guard ensuring I behave.[/quote]
======

voice to text program

dragon and others

you can talk your story and the pc types it on the screen for you[/quote]

I've tried them and never got on with them.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:32 am

[quote="Lbeauchesne"][quote="mike m."][quote="Lbeauchesne"]Writing is going to go on a go-slow for a few days. Tripped up at work last night and currently down to one hand as other is in a sling. I got fed up earlier and tried to use it (stuff doctors what do they know? :roll: ) OH saw me and told me off. I now have a collie guard ensuring I behave.[/quote]
======

voice to text program

dragon and others

------------------
I've tried them and never got on with them.[/quote]

=========

they have improved

they are not for everybody
but if you need them they help the handicapped cope with pcs bette

Lbeauchesne
Private First Class

Postby Lbeauchesne » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:42 pm

[quote="mike m."][quote="Lbeauchesne"][quote="mike m."][quote="Lbeauchesne"]Writing is going to go on a go-slow for a few days. Tripped up at work last night and currently down to one hand as other is in a sling. I got fed up earlier and tried to use it (stuff doctors what do they know? :roll: ) OH saw me and told me off. I now have a collie guard ensuring I behave.[/quote]
======

voice to text program

dragon and others

------------------
I've tried them and never got on with them.[/quote]

=========

they have improved

they are not for everybody
but if you need them they help the handicapped cope with pcs bette[/quote]

Since last year? As you say, it's personal preference.

Noizchild
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Noizchild » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:34 pm

I am about with another series.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Lbeauchesne
Private First Class

Postby Lbeauchesne » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:42 am

Dear boss/friend/pain in the proverbial,
Yes, I agreed to help you out by translating the lyrics of your show from French to English. I understand this. Yes, I spent time working in the NHS and became proficient at deciphering various writing styles.
However, while providing this translation service as I am otherwise unable to work until the doctor says otherwise (even though I think they are wrong), this does not mean that I want to spend 6 hours deciphering your handwriting for each track. Seriously, how is it possible for one person to have 17 billion different styles of handwriting in a single track? Could you not have provided me with a computer print out?

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party