"Write Better, Get Published."

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mike m.
Master Sergeant

"Write Better, Get Published."

Postby mike m. » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:32 pm

pls suggested we discuss this topic

i wonder if it is the correct question

WD used to be as much about marketing and business of writing as the actual writing
which is how i learned to sell my work to many publications starting junior year at the uni
one of the first sales was equivalent to usd800 today -- for a short filler in a technical magazine

for sure one thing that has not kept up with inflation is what writers get paid
magazines have been paying less for decades while more people are trying to sell to them
and the internet 'publishers' pay pennies when they dont try to get you to write for exposure or for your clip file

so my take is that it is a given that you must write well or at least good enough
but to be published requires more than that
to get published you need to know how to market your work
and if you self publish you have to promote your work if you want significant sales

robjvargas
Captain

Re: "Write Better, Get Published."

Postby robjvargas » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:02 pm

It's not a question.

And marketing isn't a writing effort. It's a publishing effort. Sort of like I said before. Writing is the craft, publishing is the business.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:42 pm

[quote="robjvargas"]It's not a question.

And marketing isn't a writing effort. It's a publishing effort. Sort of like I said before. Writing is the craft, publishing is the business.[/quote]
=======

you can separate them if you want

professional writers know they have to do both to be successful

as far as i am concerned, and WD used to be, content creation and sales are all part of the writers business

feel free to weigh in on either part if you can add anything to answer pls' query

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:55 pm

Writers understand they may have to do both - self-publishers definitely. But they are still two separate "jobs". Most successful self-publishers are those who know when the story's finished, they have to switch gears, moving from author to publisher. Unfortunately, a lot writers don't know how to do that - in fact, know very little about publishing past putting it via some distribution company like CreateSpace.
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:23 am

==feel free to weigh in on either part if you can add anything to answer pls' query==
pls didn't query anything. He reminded us all of the core focus of WD (and therefore, of this forum).

Moderators do that from time to time when responding to troublemakers.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:48 am

[quote="rob-lost"]==feel free to weigh in on either part if you can add anything to answer pls' query==
pls didn't query anything. He reminded us all of the core focus of WD (and therefore, of this forum).

Moderators do that from time to time when responding to troublemakers.[/quote]
========

the only trouble maker here is ostarella
but you do aid and abet her

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:01 pm

Here we go again :roll:
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:48 pm

[quote="ostarella"]Here we go again :roll:[/quote]
=======

thanks for proving my assertion

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:03 pm

@mike m:
Ostarella's behavior is irrelevant.

Did you take absolutely no notice that the forum administrator declared just about every one of your "outliner vs pantser" threads as "going nowhere"? Have you take absolutely no notice that multiple people have spoken about your denigration and antagonism, while no one defends your value as a frequent poster?

That isn't proof positive of anything. But they should be very strong hints that JUST MAYBE you should reexamine how you are engaging other people.

Let's assume for a moment that you are correct. Ostarella is a troublemaker. Even then, you are still incorrect, because you say she is the only one.

Is she incorrect that you have not had fiction works published? Is it a personal attack to point this out? Even if so, what obligates you to respond in kind that everyone here is an amateur, or a wannabe? Because I haven't seen you acknowledge anyone, not even published fiction authors, as anything else.

You have not responded to any post that asks you to examine your own behavior. I have no expectation that you're going to change now.

Which is sad. You;'ve thrown out the occasional post that hints as someone with more to offer. But you make no effort to be constructive, or even informative. At least none that I've seen. And no, an occasional non-negative post does not count as constructive to me.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:22 pm

[quote="rob-lost"]@mike m:
Ostarella's behavior is irrelevant.

Did you take absolutely no notice that the forum administrator declared just about every one of your "outliner vs pantser" threads as "going nowhere"? Have you take absolutely no notice that multiple people have spoken about your denigration and antagonism, while no one defends your value as a frequent poster?

That isn't proof positive of anything. But they should be very strong hints that JUST MAYBE you should reexamine how you are engaging other people.

Let's assume for a moment that you are correct. Ostarella is a troublemaker. Even then, you are still incorrect, because you say she is the only one.

Is she incorrect that you have not had fiction works published? Is it a personal attack to point this out? Even if so, what obligates you to respond in kind that everyone here is an amateur, or a wannabe? Because I haven't seen you acknowledge anyone, not even published fiction authors, as anything else.

You have not responded to any post that asks you to examine your own behavior. I have no expectation that you're going to change now.

Which is sad. You;'ve thrown out the occasional post that hints as someone with more to offer. But you make no effort to be constructive, or even informative. At least none that I've seen. And no, an occasional non-negative post does not count as constructive to me.[/quote]
=============

apparently your overlooked that ostarella is the one causing those threads

i engage people the way they engage with me

tat for tit is the optimum strategy
sometimes nobody wins
read the book
evolution of cooperation
by rappoport

logical fallacy
can 8 billion idiots be wrong ?
you support ostarella so you cant see the trouble she causes

her claim that i have not published fiction is irrelevant
i have written it
i have read it
but more
i have written PAID AND PUBLISHED in national publications which gives me some writing credentials
ostarella has done nothing except be a legend in her own mind

i have worked with small publishing companies and do know the publishing biz more than what ostrella learned at some conference
or made up from what she thought she knew

it is personal attack the way she does it
and totally meaningless as she has not published fiction either so she has no basis to say i dont know how to write
and a logical fallacy in ASSuming that you have to have had written fiction to be a writer andor know anything

my behavior is a reflection of everyone else
you need to look in the mirror
tell ostarella to put a lid on it and give it a rest
then we can get down to focusing on writing not personalities

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party