Greetings from Vancouver Island

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.
Zog Jones
Private E-1

Greetings from Vancouver Island

Postby Zog Jones » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Greetings! New writer from Vancouver Island. Mostly into science fiction, favorites include Michael Crichton, John Scalzi, Larry Niven.....it's a long list. Love all sorts of other books too. Most of my writing is in adult to "mature" young adult sci fi and fantasy. One book more or less done, but taking a break from editing (and re-editing, and re-editing, then screaming in primal rage and then editing again) and working on a second book. Can't wait to become part of the community!

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Re: Greetings from Vancouver Island

Postby mike m. » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:25 pm

welcome
you are now part of the community

tell us how you wrote your book and got it finished

Zog Jones
Private E-1

Postby Zog Jones » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:09 pm

Well...until it is published I don't think it'll ever feel 'finished' and even if it did I can see myself re-reading it and still wanting to change things. It took a lot of time, and I printed out a hard copy at one point for editing, though I found that a bit cumbersome transferring the changes back into digital format. It's been 5 years since I started it, and there have been multiple edits. I'm giving that book a break for a bit, working on the planning for a new one and hopefully I can come back to it with fresh eyes. I also learned that planning is important. I just Pantsed this one, decided I wanted to write a book and just sat down and started typing. It was fun, but when you get to the edit section and realise you don't like a character, you may then have to go back through the whole book to change them. Not to say you should have every word and thought planned, but some idea of basic structure, plot, character development and motivations have been helpful.

It's been a real learning process!
I'm not an expert, so don't take this with a grain of salt so much as a whole lit up Hippy Salt Crystal.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:47 pm

[quote="Zog Jones"]Well...until it is published I don't think it'll ever feel 'finished' and even if it did I can see myself re-reading it and still wanting to change things. It took a lot of time, and I printed out a hard copy at one point for editing, though I found that a bit cumbersome transferring the changes back into digital format. It's been 5 years since I started it, and there have been multiple edits. I'm giving that book a break for a bit, working on the planning for a new one and hopefully I can come back to it with fresh eyes. I also learned that planning is important. I just Pantsed this one, decided I wanted to write a book and just sat down and started typing. It was fun, but when you get to the edit section and realise you don't like a character, you may then have to go back through the whole book to change them. Not to say you should have every word and thought planned, but some idea of basic structure, plot, character development and motivations have been helpful.

It's been a real learning process![/quote]
=========

at some point you have to declare victory and stop making changes

after that point changes dont make it better at all,
all they do is make it different

please tell us your process for writing

HOW do you write

why did it take 5 years?
lack of writing time
too many revisions and changes
something else

Return to Introductions