Are WRITERS' CONFERENCES worth-while?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Are WRITERS' CONFERENCES worth-while?

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:50 pm

I'm going to my 1st writers' conference next month in Houston (Indiepalooza 2017), and I'm hoping to learn a lot of useful information about book writing/publishing and meet some local authors. (I'm attending this conference for free b/c I'm one of the guest speakers). I've never attended a writers' conferences before, so I'm curious if they are usually worth-while. What do you think?
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

rob-lost
Corporal

Re: Are WRITERS' CONFERENCES worth-while?

Postby rob-lost » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:48 pm

I'm an I.T. guy who has attented IT conference. I think writer conferences are similar, at least for this conversation.

They are what you make of them. You can shuffle from room to room and hear but not really absorb the information being presented. Maybe you find a bar, or spend your time trying to grab up all the swag.

But if you bring your love of the topic, engage and take in what is presented, then it can be very rewarding and help you tune your craft.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:58 pm

[quote="mikeyboy_esq"]I'm going to my 1st writers' conference next month in Houston (Indiepalooza 2017), and I'm hoping to learn a lot of useful information about book writing/publishing and meet some local authors. (I'm attending this conference for free b/c I'm one of the guest speakers). I've never attended a writers' conferences before, so I'm curious if they are usually worth-while. What do you think?[/quote]
============

you can learn more from books, writing magazines, and the internet far easier faster cheaper better than a conference

a conference is for fun to motivate you , and possibly to make contacts
the amount of learning is minimal

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:41 pm

Making contacts and talking to the people who are actually in the business - priceless.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:25 pm

[quote="ostarella"]Making contacts and talking to the people who are actually in the business - priceless.[/quote]
========

so did you go to conferences and make contacts

did they get you published

did they make you money from your writing

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:40 pm

[quote="mike m."][quote="ostarella"]Making contacts and talking to the people who are actually in the business - priceless.[/quote]
========

did they make you money from your writing[/quote]

I haven't been able to yet. When I get more interested in publishing I certainly will. In the meantime I've spoken with a great many actual fiction authors who have found them extremely helpful, both educationally and business-wise. And yes, they have gotten contracts through the contacts they made there. Whether they would do you any good is iffy.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:03 am

[quote="ostarella"][quote="mike m."][quote="ostarella"]Making contacts and talking to the people who are actually in the business - priceless.[/quote]
========

did they make you money from your writing[/quote]

I haven't been able to yet. When I get more interested in publishing I certainly will. In the meantime I've spoken with a great many actual fiction authors who have found them extremely helpful, both educationally and business-wise. And yes, they have gotten contracts through the contacts they made there. Whether they would do you any good is iffy.[/quote]
==

so you are not interested enough
and that is why you have not been published or paid

or could it be your writing is just not good enough

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:12 pm

@mike m
For someone who uses "wasting my time" as such a frequent excuse to not post a logical argument, you sure do waste a lot of time deriding and insulting others.

Very telling, that.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:21 pm

[quote="mike m."]

or could it be your writing is just not good enough[/quote]

As I have said - repeatedly - I'm not interested in publishing yet. Maybe my writing is good enough, maybe it's not. Eventually I'll give publishing a try and see what happens, see what I need to work on, what I'm doing well. Frankly, I don't give a rat's behind if you think it's good or not. Some people's opinions just aren't worth listening to, let alone worrying about.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:31 pm

[quote="ostarella"][quote="mike m."]

or could it be your writing is just not good enough[/quote]

As I have said - repeatedly - I'm not interested in publishing yet. Maybe my writing is good enough, maybe it's not. Eventually I'll give publishing a try and see what happens, see what I need to work on, what I'm doing well. Frankly, I don't give a rat's behind if you think it's good or not. Some people's opinions just aren't worth listening to, let alone worrying about.[/quote]
========

sour grapes
if you cant write a handy excuse is to say you dont want to be published

like the grocery store guy told the person who said their butter was too expensive
and when he also said the store down the street sells it for $1 a pound not $5.50
the store clerk gave the response that when we are out of butter we sell it for only 10c a pound

come back and tell us how good you are when you got some butter to sell

Next

Return to Tips and Advice