How do you pick which book to read?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Piccoro
Private E-1

How do you pick which book to read?

Postby Piccoro » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:22 am

I hope this is not a stupid question but my time is very limited and certainly don't want to waste time with poor written books that will not benefit me much. How do you pick which ones to read? Do you just go ahead and read any title that sparks your interest? or Do you read recommended ones by other writers, publishers, etc?

If you don't mind, telling me which one would you recommend reading right now? I dont really mind the genre just want to a read good quality and well written story/plot :geek:

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: How do you pick which book to read?

Postby ostarella » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:04 am

I wouldn't call it a "stupid" question, but a bit simplistic. Poorly written "mechanically" can be spotted by reading the first page - poor grammar, badly formatted, etc. Poorly written stylistically or even structurally is very individualized - some people love writers who are "further afield" than others, some want stories within very strict parameters.

The only real way to find the books you'd enjoy reading is to go to the bookstore or library and browse. You stand a much smaller chance of "wasting time" that way than by grabbing a book recommended by strangers. And frankly, reading "bad" books can do your own writing as much good as reading "good" ones.

And just to note - everyone has limited time. I always recommend that "too busy to do X" people keep a detailed time diary for a couple weeks - and by detailed I mean even if the particular activity only takes 5 minutes or less. At the end of two weeks, that diary will be a real eye-opener as far as wasted time and inefficient scheduling. ;)
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:01 am

It's always going to be subjective, really. The Da Vinci Code, for example, has some atrociously cringe-worthy writing in it, in terms of style, structure, and so on. But if you turn off your inner critic and simply enjoy it for the thrill ride, it's fantastic. I always say to questions like this: read for your own enjoyment firstly, and then secondarily observe for writing hints - both the well done and the poorly done - as a bonus on top of that.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:56 am

Sometimes it's based on a subject I might be interested in. Other times, it's cover, or interesting title, then I read the back. If its intriguing enough then I will pick it up. The third way is through recommendation of an author or title.

Piccoro
Private E-1

Postby Piccoro » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks everyone for your answer. I tried looking for best novels of all time but there are so many lists I couldnt pick one. I went right ahead with y'all advice and picked up something that sparkted my interested that will also encourage to try to squeeze more reading time from all the other stuff we have to deal with.

Well I already read a few pages and time flies when you read something you enjoy! Whatever awaits the end like ostarella said I'll learn something from it good or bad ;) .

Dreaming Imrryr
Sergeant First Class

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:35 pm

I usually walk into teh fantasy and sci-fi sections of teh bookstore and browse for a cover I like. :)

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:03 pm

[quote="Piccoro"]I hope this is not a stupid question but my time is very limited and certainly don't want to waste time with poor written books that will not benefit me much. How do you pick which ones to read? Do you just go ahead and read any title that sparks your interest? or Do you read recommended ones by other writers, publishers, etc?

If you don't mind, telling me which one would you recommend reading right now? I dont really mind the genre just want to a read good quality and well written story/plot :geek:[/quote]
========

time is limited
so is money

i pick the few books that have information that i need or want to read

rarely i pick a novel to read when i dont have the energy to wade through an NF book that is technical or heavy

i did read antifragile recently
that is one tough read
bit NN Taleb is brilliant and has insights that the establishment conventional whizdumb cant grok as they keep messing things up

one observation he had that he showed to be true is that bigger government does worse than smaller govt
read the book to see his logical path to reach that conclusion

Return to Writers' Block Party