Can't find Beta Readers!

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ybustam1
Private E-1

Can't find Beta Readers!

Postby ybustam1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:16 pm

I tried using Facebook, Twitter and a website full of my type of target audience. Still no luck. I did a little more research and found that the best way to find beta readers is to offer your services as a beta reader, too.
However, I'm dyslexic so it's hard for me to read a piece of work without trouble. I read in my spare time (sometimes frustrated) and balance college, too, so I kinda have my hands full. I'm also terrible in giving constructive criticism. You can ask any of my previous classmates from ENG 288 and 388.
I heard that some beta readers are paid. I'm not sure how much to reward per chapter or page, but I do think I might get some offers if I pay them. I'm going to ask people from the particular website I mentioned in the beginning to see if anyone is interested. However, I want to hear the opinion from the writing community.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Re: Can't find Beta Readers!

Postby mike m. » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:31 pm

[quote="ybustam1"]I tried using Facebook, Twitter and a website full of my type of target audience. Still no luck. I did a little more research and found that the best way to find beta readers is to offer your services as a beta reader, too.
However, I'm dyslexic so it's hard for me to read a piece of work without trouble. I read in my spare time (sometimes frustrated) and balance college, too, so I kinda have my hands full. I'm also terrible in giving constructive criticism. You can ask any of my previous classmates from ENG 288 and 388.
I heard that some beta readers are paid. I'm not sure how much to reward per chapter or page, but I do think I might get some offers if I pay them. I'm going to ask people from the particular website I mentioned in the beginning to see if anyone is interested. However, I want to hear the opinion from the writing community.[/quote]
=====

use a text to speech ap and listen to it if its hard to read

most beta readers are amateurs who volounteered
you get what you pay for

if you need a development editor or even just an assessment aka beta reader then a paid pro might be more useful
you decide if its worth the money or time
you get what you bought

the stuff i see is such horrible crap that i would raise my rates to read and comment on someone elses work
unless they are a pro or a colleague with content that i might care about

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Can't find Beta Readers!

Postby ostarella » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:33 pm

[quote="ybustam1"]I tried using Facebook, Twitter and a website full of my type of target audience. Still no luck. I did a little more research and found that the best way to find beta readers is to offer your services as a beta reader, too.
I heard that some beta readers are paid. I'm not sure how much to reward per chapter or page, but I do think I might get some offers if I pay them. I'm going to ask people from the particular website I mentioned in the beginning to see if anyone is interested. However, I want to hear the opinion from the writing community.[/quote]

You can posts pieces here for critique, and ditto many other writing forums. I was part of a trio that traded stories - we met on an online writing group and over time found we had similar views on story telling, so it was a natural fit. I think that's kind of a key to get a more formal relationship for beta work - getting to know people first. But a lot can be learned with just short posts here, as well - typically the kinds of things that are pointed out are the same things done throughout a story.

Return to Writers' Block Party