[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Random name generators : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Random name generators

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
filkata
Private E-1

Random name generators

Postby filkata » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:28 am

Do you use random name generators? In what cases? What features make a useful one? What features you wish they had?
Last edited by filkata on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Random name generators

Postby ostarella » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:48 am

I have tried them, but my experience has been that, unless you're going for unpronounceable names for a fantasy story, they're not worth much. If I'm' actually stuck for a name, I just open the phone book and randomly stick my finger on some page. Once for first name, once for second name. A book of baby names also works for first names, and the yellow pages for surnames.

filkata
Private E-1

Postby filkata » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:27 am

Yes, I agree they are useful only when you are looking for fantasy names.
I am working on a random name generator of my own . I tried to keep the names pronouncible and add helpful options like easy copying but I would like some feedback from prople that use such tools.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:03 am

I don't really believe in name generators. All the names I've generated have FELT generated. I will use an online anagram generator for some of the characteristics I want my character to have, and see if a "namelike" option comes up.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

FindingMargaritaville
Private E-1

Postby FindingMargaritaville » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:12 pm

I'm only 250 words into what might, or more likely might not, become a book of short stories. I enjoy character-making, probably to the detriment of the plot or anything else. So, while a name generator for me is an intriguing idea, I agree with the previous pst that it will feel generated. So I enjoy coming up with names.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:45 pm

[quote="filkata"]Do you use random name generators? In what cases? What features make a useful one? What features you wish they had?[/quote]
=====

the govt prints lists of names by popularity
both first and last names

you can find other lists of names to use as a guide

Return to Take it Outside!