So why ARE you writing?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
nhope
Lieutenant

So why ARE you writing?

Postby nhope » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:00 am

Money? Fame? Bragging rights? A sense of accomplishment? To vanquish your demons? To conjure up a better life? Forgiveness? Absolution? Revenge? Peace of mind? To remember? To assist? To figure out who you are today?

Does it matter?

Maybe, depending on your reason but then, it's your reason.

Maybe your struggle has to do with your goal and not your writing.

Maybe sometimes we just need to take a break and let life flow thru us.

Just random thoughts early Friday morning before leaving for work. And I didn't want to hijack the last comments on Terry's "what's happening" post. And I haven't posted in a while. <waving 8-)>

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: So why ARE you writing?

Postby ostarella » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:31 am

I write because I love putting the words together in just the right way to tell a story. I love the challenge of it. I haven't really put a lot of effort into seeking publication. Somehow that added a "business" dimension that kinda took away the enjoyment. I also realized that part of the reason I considered publishing was pretty childish - I wanted to show all the jerks from high school what I could do. :roll: So yeah, not a good reason. But eventually I'll give that a whirl as well. In the meantime, I just like seeing some little scene along the road, at the mall, out the window, that just pokes me to make it into a story - and away I go. ;)

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:53 am

[quote="nhope"]Money? Fame? Bragging rights? A sense of accomplishment? To vanquish your demons? To conjure up a better life? Forgiveness? Absolution? Revenge? Peace of mind? To remember? To assist? To figure out who you are today?

Does it matter?

Maybe, depending on your reason but then, it's your reason.

Maybe your struggle has to do with your goal and not your writing.

Maybe sometimes we just need to take a break and let life flow thru us.

Just random thoughts early Friday morning before leaving for work. And I didn't want to hijack the last comments on Terry's "what's happening" post. And I haven't posted in a while. <waving 8-)>[/quote]

==========

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money."
Boswell:

plenty of people write to be 'creative'
for NF many write to push their views or enhance their reputation

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Brien Sz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:53 pm

I write with the goal of making some money. I am not wired to sit down and put all that effort into it without trying to earn a return. I also write with the goal to have a body of work that earns enough passive income so when I retire, I can enjoy the fruits of my labor. Actually, I have no desire to retire in the stereotypical sense. My goal is to make a lot of capital. If you don't visualize making the money, you probably won't - so why not dream big?

Having been involved in the 'Arts' for a along time, you might as well try to cash in as much as you can. There's an art to making money too - haven't quite mastered that one, but as long as I'm on this side of the dirt, I'll keep trying.

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:41 pm

Because I want to and I have nothing else at the moment.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:34 am

I write because I find it be enjoyable. I also like it because I can create whatever type of story I want to. :mrgreen:
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

Bobabob
Private E-1

Postby Bobabob » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:32 am

I write because I like it. True, I would like to make money, or be remembered by a piece of work, but those are just possible outcomes. According to personality profiles, I'm an expressive analytical. So I guess I like to express myself, but am critical of what I express. It's complicated covers it. lol
Incompetence! It's the new normul.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:37 pm

[quote="ostarella"]I write because I love putting the words together in just the right way to tell a story. I love the challenge of it. I haven't really put a lot of effort into seeking publication. Somehow that added a "business" dimension that kinda took away the enjoyment. I also realized that part of the reason I considered publishing was pretty childish - I wanted to show all the jerks from high school what I could do. :roll: So yeah, not a good reason. But eventually I'll give that a whirl as well. In the meantime, I just like seeing some little scene along the road, at the mall, out the window, that just pokes me to make it into a story - and away I go. ;)[/quote]
====

how many stories have you finished that could be published

do you have enough to self publish a collection

amazon is free if you dont buy the useless 'services' they push

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:46 pm

[quote="mike m."]how many stories have you finished that could be published

do you have enough to self publish a collection

amazon is free if you dont buy the useless 'services' they push[/quote]

I've got 6 or 7 that with a bit of polishing would be publishable. And I have absolutely no interest in self-publishing. I'm a writer, not a publisher.

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:36 pm

[quote="roda havet"]I write because I find it be enjoyable. I also like it because I can create whatever type of story I want to. :mrgreen:[/quote]

Me too! :mrgreen:
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Return to Writers' Block Party