What's been going on around here?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

What's been going on around here?

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:43 pm

I've been away for more than a year and the site has come to a crawl. :lol:

So how is everyone? Anyone new in the last year? What's the skinny?

I took some time off from writing, almost a year and a half, and I'm anxious to get back. I was working on an R&R before the break and had a chance to sit down and talk to the agent at ThrillerFest. She was very understanding and had me more enthused about getting back. The idea we have for the protagonist is going to be my best work ever. Fingers crossed I can pull it off. It was great seeing all the familiar faces, having dinner with Warren, and meeting some new writers. For those that don't know me, I help with the conference every year and I have a blast doing it. For those that write any type of thriller this is the best conference to attend. Yes, it can be a bit pricey, but you can not beat the contacts of those that attend. The amount of help you can get by authors you would think are not approachable by far pays for the conference. The highlight is always the Thriller Awards Banquet. This year Lee child was ThrillerMaster. Next year we have the one and only George RR Martin. Just when I think the conference can't get any better.

What is everyone writing these days?

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: What's been going on around here?

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:59 pm

[quote="T.A.Rodgers"]I've been away for more than a year and the site has come to a crawl. :lol:

I took some time off from writing, almost a year and a half, and I'm anxious to get back. I was working on an R&R before the break and had a chance to sit down and talk to the agent at ThrillerFest. She was very understanding and had me more enthused about getting back. The idea we have for the protagonist is going to be my best work ever. Fingers crossed I can pull it off. It was great seeing all the familiar faces, having dinner with Warren, and meeting some new writers. For those that don't know me, I help with the conference every year and I have a blast doing it. For those that write any type of thriller this is the best conference to attend. Yes, it can be a bit pricey, but you can not beat the contacts of those that attend. The amount of help you can get by authors you would think are not approachable by far pays for the conference. The highlight is always the Thriller Awards Banquet. This year Lee child was ThrillerMaster. Next year we have the one and only George RR Martin. Just when I think the conference can't get any better.

What is everyone writing these days?[/quote]

Not a lot, Terry. Shadowwalker seems to be handling the critiquing single-handed these days, and not just the critiquing. Very few of our old stalwarts post any more. DrG2 seems to be the only one reading and Noizchild is having difficulty with Word. Pls is working his butt off dealing with would-be new members, none of whom seem to be interested in engaging in conversations or submitting. I'm still working on my family history project - should finish that about September, I hope.

It's a sad state of affairs, but, who knows, maybe traffic will pick up.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Noizchild
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Noizchild » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:14 pm

This site needs serious repairs.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

noob
Private E-1

Postby noob » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:33 pm

[quote="Noizchild"]This site needs serious repairs.[/quote]
=========

it needs more than that

noob
Private E-1

Postby noob » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:35 pm

[quote="T.A.Rodgers"]I've been away for more than a year and the site has come to a crawl. :lol:

What is everyone writing these days?[/quote]
=======

it has been crawling for longer than that

20 years ago it was very active

i am still writing NF
debating whether to try a script or a novel

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:24 am

It needs an I.T. department willing to do the not-THAT-hard work of updating and documenting the site. All the usernames that no longer work, the PHP messages where ad banners used to be, the broken function in these forums, the ongoing issues with malicious spammers...

They require something WD has made clear they don't value: commitment to the customer.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

Noizchild

Postby Noizchild » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:07 pm

[quote="rob-lost"]It needs an I.T. department willing to do the not-THAT-hard work of updating and documenting the site. All the usernames that no longer work, the PHP messages where ad banners used to be, the broken function in these forums, the ongoing issues with malicious spammers...

They require something WD has made clear they don't value: commitment to the customer.[/quote]

I wonder if this site is run by the same people who run Webs.com.
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you

cynicalwanderer

Postby cynicalwanderer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:14 pm

I have to admit, the increased technical issues with lag, posting problems, and page refreshing have discouraged me from spending much time here of late, as the experience of navigating the site has become just too frustrating. I do like many of the people here so I'll keep checking in every so often in the hope that it gets resolved at some point, but you probably won't see much of me until then.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Noizchild

Postby Noizchild » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:16 pm

[quote="cynicalwanderer"]I have to admit, the increased technical issues with lag, posting problems, and page refreshing have discouraged me from spending much time here of late, as the experience of navigating the site has become just too frustrating. I do like many of the people here so I'll keep checking in every so often in the hope that it gets resolved at some point, but you probably won't see much of me until then.[/quote]

I understand your pain right now.
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:50 am

Noob, good luck with the novel. What genre are you thinking about?

I know Brian from WD has tried for years to get the powers to be to update the site. I sent him an email to see how things are going. I know Paul has tried to contact him as well.

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party