www.ebooks-downloads.net

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Oldtimer
Colonel

www.ebooks-downloads.net

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:01 pm

Has anybody downloaded any books from this site, please? Apparently I can read (free of charge) a very old genealogical study compiled by Sir William Musgrave entitled Obituary Prior to 1800 (as far as relates to England, Scotland and Ireland). I am itching to download this study, but don't want my computer to be infected with anything nasty. Other documents available for download cover a surprising range of subject matter: from Princess Diana's ancestry to mystery/crime stories and, of course, references to the Harry Potter books.

Where can I go to vet this site before diving into it, please?
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: www.ebooks-downloads.net

Postby ostarella » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:48 pm

Anytime I download anything from the web, I have it go directly to the Download file. BEFORE OPENING IT, I scan it with Windows Defender (and/or my malware software). Should be able to right click on the file and the scan option will be in the box. That will let you know if there are problems with the file before you do anything with it. I did do a google search for the URL and nothing popped up showing problems overall with the site.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:28 am

I opened up the site on my old G3 iBook, a Mac, and didn't experience anything out of the ordinary. The sites you have to be careful of are the ones that promise something titillating or hint at "something for nothing". I think you'll be safe.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:35 am

Many thanks, both of you. I'm ultra wary at the moment after my bank account was hacked as a result of a phishing e-mail. I'll let you know how I get on. :)
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.

noob
Private E-1

Postby noob » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:30 pm

[quote="Oldtimer"]Has anybody downloaded any books from this site, please? Apparently I can read (free of charge) a very old genealogical study compiled by Sir William Musgrave entitled Obituary Prior to 1800 (as far as relates to England, Scotland and Ireland). I am itching to download this study, but don't want my computer to be infected with anything nasty. Other documents available for download cover a surprising range of subject matter: from Princess Diana's ancestry to mystery/crime stories and, of course, references to the Harry Potter books.

Where can I go to vet this site before diving into it, please?[/quote]
=========

How to check if website is safe?
There are several services you can use to verify a link. Google Safe Browsing is a good place to start. Type in this URL http://google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site= followed by the site you want to check, such as google.com or an IP address. It will let you know if it has hosted malware in the past 90 days.

Another similar service is hpHosts. Enter a site into the search box and its database will tell you if the site has been used to distribute malware or phishing attacks. HpHosts gives you more-detailed information than Google Safe Browsing, if you're into that kind of thing. Two other excellent services are Norton Safe Web, from Symantec, and Unmasked Parasites. Pop in the URL, and you're good to go. Or if the site comes back as unsafe, don't go.

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:50 pm

This book appears to be in Public Domain, so it's available lots of places online. Like Google Books:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&q=Obituary+Prior+to+1800
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:18 am

[quote="rob-lost"]This book appears to be in Public Domain, so it's available lots of places online. Like Google Books:

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&q=Obituary+Prior+to+1800%5B/quote%5D

Hey! Thanks a million, Rob!

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:29 am

I've found a print version of this book and look forward to receiving it soon. And it wasn't that expensive, either. :)

Return to Writers' Block Party