2017 Reading Challenge

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
DrG2
Colonel

Re: 2017 Reading Challenge

Postby DrG2 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:04 pm

30. Gwendy's Button Box, by Steven King and Richard Chizmar(?). **** During the summer before going to middle school, Gwendy is given a magical (?) box with several buttons and levers, some of which do minor things (creates a Morgan silver dollar, makes a chocolate which helps her food cravings and otherwise helps her get her life in order) and another which can destroy whatever she is thinking of.

The story follows Gwendy for about a dozen years, until she graduates from college and the man who gave her the box takes it back.

Overall, it was very good. At the end, she decided to put the box in a safety deposit box, but the guy takes it back instead, which seemed kinda random.

31. Do I Make Myself Clear? by Harold Evans. ****. Basically an expansion of "Elements of Style" in philosophy. Some parts were very good and applicable to writers of any kind. Other parts were most suitable for editors of news and reports.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:41 am

[list=][code][/code][/list]I finally finished book number 5. I'm afraid I may not meet my goal this year but that's okay there is always next year. :)

#5 Poe Poetry and Tales
Last edited by roda havet on Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

Piccoro
Private E-1

Postby Piccoro » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:08 pm

I decided to go through science fiction classics since the genre im interested in writing more or less this year plus I find them more interesting & fun.

I started with the invisble man and so far im impressed it's been written by a non-scientist and is quite old, a lot of scientific jargon does make sense even today.

At least I plan to finish 5 books (I dont know if Audio books count if so i may be able to squeeze a lil more).

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:55 pm

32. Summer and Bird, by Catherine Catmull. Mother leaves two girls. Mother turns out to have been a swan who had taken the form of a human. Girls go to magical bird world.

narration is the worst of fairy tale style, with none of the benefits.

hated it.

Piccoro
Private E-1

Postby Piccoro » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:07 am

@DrG2 did you still finish it? Do you guys usually finish even if you find the book not useful mid way?

cjr1977
Private E-1

Postby cjr1977 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Book 29: Sovereign of the Seven Isles: Thinblade by David Wells
Book 30: Sovereign of the Seven Isles: Sovereign Stone by David Wells

I was a little bit skeptical of these two books because the first, like many series was free on Amazon, and the second was free by signing up for the authors newsletters. I was pleasantly surprised. There were a few style things that I found annoying but not enough to quit the series. As soon as I finished the second book I bought the third. I'm itching to start reading it but I'll wait until tonight.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:27 am

33. The Girl on the Train, by Paula Hawkins. I liked this pretty well. It goes back and forth between three characters (one of which is the murdered woman) and back and forth in time. That structure helps keep the suspense going, but I didn't think it was necessary. The perpetrator is pretty poorly drawn, and his behaviors are inscrutable. One of the tricks the writer uses is a MC who has no memory of the night of the murder (because of extreme alcohol consumption and a concussion), which I don't like.

The movie was worse than the novel, imo. Many details were arbitrarily changed, and internal monologues were changed to voiceovers or dialogue.

34. Best 10-minute Plays, 2016, edited by Laurence Harbison. ****. 50 10-minute plays. Most of which I liked.

35. The Time-traveller’s Wife, by Audrey Niffenegger.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:29 am

Piccoro said: "@DrG2 did you still finish it? Do you guys usually finish even if you find the book not useful mid way?"

I read the first 1/3 then jumped ahead to the last 10%, just to see how it ended. I seldom (5% maybe) stop reading conventionally published novels, but stop reading many self-published novels.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:18 pm

29. Body Double by Tess Gerritsen Five stars. The plotting was (to me) convoluted but all became clear about one chapter from the end. I enjoyed the read.
30. Promise Me by Harlan Coben. Five stars. This was the first Harlan Coben book I have read. I enjoyed this read, too, but there was one event which I cannot accept as plausible. That was when the MC's former girlfriend, who is about to marry someone else, turned up in the middle of the night just for a chat.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 pm

36. The Revenant, by Michael Punke. ****. The basis of the DiCaprio movie. very good, but very simply written - - would be fine for a 8 y.o. except possibly for the violence. seemed like there were differences from the movie, but I'm not sure what.

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party