Illustrations in an Adult Fantasy Novel?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Art1st4786
Private E-1

Illustrations in an Adult Fantasy Novel?

Postby Art1st4786 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:59 pm

I just finished writing my first novel, and it's a modern fantasy. I was wondering how everyone feels about seeing illustrations in a fantasy novel that's aimed at adults. I'm also an illustrator and wanted to include some illustrations of major scenes at the ends of some chapters and even maybe some cover art.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Illustrations in an Adult Fantasy Novel?

Postby ostarella » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:37 pm

First thing I would ask if you're planning on going with a trade publisher or self-publishing. If the former, they generally prefer to have their own illustrators, or if it's even a good idea to have illustrations.

Second, have you checked out other books similar to yours? That would be the best indicator for how popular illustrations are in adult novels.

Last, my personal preference is so-so. When I see illustrations in any novel, I give it a quick glance at most. I don't really care how the author or publisher sees things; I've been known to skip text descriptions of characters because I know exactly how I want them to look, thank you very much. ;) On the other hand, if location descriptions get too convoluted, sometimes an illustration can straighten things out - but then I have to wonder why the author couldn't have written it more clearly (the old two-edged sword thingy).

cjr1977
Private E-1

Postby cjr1977 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:37 pm

I have a friend from high school who recently published the next book in her fantasy series and put some illustrations in it. Her daughter made the illustrations. I don't believe they are full illustrations, just beginning of the chapter art but they are drawings of characters or items in the book. I haven't seen it yet so I can only speak to the sample artwork she posted when she sent it for publishing.

Piccoro
Private E-1

Postby Piccoro » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:46 pm

I think you should have rough sketches send to the publisher that way he can throw in some input and know he can actually have a say in it. Full blown final sketches might throw them off as it might not agree with them. Just a thought.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:45 pm

[quote="Piccoro"]I think you should have rough sketches send to the publisher that way he can throw in some input and know he can actually have a say in it. Full blown final sketches might throw them off as it might not agree with them. Just a thought.[/quote]

I would look carefully at the agent/publisher submission guidelines and follow them to the letter. If they say "text only", then that's what you send.

Agents/publishers want to read your book - the artwork is not important until they decide whether or not they even want to take you on. After that, you can offer your illustrations and see if the publisher is interested. Always bear in mind that the publisher is the one sticking their financial neck out, so they reasonably want to decide the best way to present your book.

Return to Writers' Block Party