2017 Reading Challenge

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
cjr1977
Private E-1

Re: 2017 Reading Challenge

Postby cjr1977 » Thu May 25, 2017 12:40 pm

Book 19: Defender by Robert J Crane
Book 20: Avenger
Book 21: Champion
This is a long series and I only have the first three so I will have to get the next five or six at some point so I can read them also. I found the lack of editing distracting at times but not enough to prevent me from reading the rest of the story. The only part of the story-line that I didn't like was that the magic made life too easy. Death was cheated time and time again because there was almost always someone capable of a resurrection spell nearby.

Book 22: The Mermaid's Sister by Carrie Anne Noble
I could have done without the first couple of chapters but then the story got interesting.

Hammer 2.0
Private E-1

Postby Hammer 2.0 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:21 pm

6. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins *****
7. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins *****
8. The White Tree by Edward W. Robertson ***
9. The Orphan's Tale by Pam Jenoff ***

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:17 pm

whatever nr 24 in the stephanie plum series is by janet evanovich

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:57 pm

25. The Lords of the North, by Bernard Cornwell ****1/2. Historical fiction concerning the fight between the Saxons and Danes for the control of Britain. The main character, Uhtred, makes an oath to the wanna-be king Guthred, helps him to a tentative crown, then gets sold out by him into slavery on a trading ship. After a couple years, he earns his freedom when his former lord, King Alfred of Wessex sends a ship to recover him. He meets up with his foster brother, Ragnar, and they end up getting rid of Ragnar's enemy and help Guthred, Uhtred becoming reconciled with him.

With just a few more fantastical elements, this would work as a fantasy novel.

26. Jane and the Raven King, by Stephen Chambers. **** Jane, living in contemporary USA, becomes involved in a fight to stop the Raven King from making hell of the Earth. MG fantasy. The chapters are short, and things move rapidly.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:58 pm

27. The One Inside, by Sam Shepard. ****1/2. Kind of a weird little book. The narrator is a near-70 guy who has a weird (non-sexual) relationship with a 20 y.o. girl. Jumps back and forth in time (at least as far back as when he was 13), and includes dream scenes, though the changes in setting are not well-defined. Basically about the relationship of the guy with his dad and with a few women in his life (his first sexual partner, when he was 13, was a 14 y.o. girl that was "dating" his father).

I liked the writing. the story was so-so.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:01 pm

28. When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead which won the American Newbery Medal in 2010.
I thought it stunk. There's a time-travel premise, and several references to "A Wrinkle in Time," which is an excellent novel. Basically, the MC was on the periphery of the real story (someone who traveled back in time to rectify a mistake), but I think about 10% of the novel is based on the plot, and 90% is just the MC being a kid.

cjr1977
Private E-1

Postby cjr1977 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:43 pm

Book 22: Deep Blue Secret by Christie Anderson
Book 23: Rogue Wave by Christie Anderson
Book 24: Ambrosia Shore by Christie Anderson
Book 25: Flood Rising by Christie Anderson

This series is great so far. I couldn't put it down, in fact I think I read all four books in about a week. Now I have to wait because so far that's all she wrote although there are a few more on the way.

Book 26: A Quest of Heroes by Morgan Rice
Book 27: A March of Kings by Morgan Rice
Book 28: A Fate of Dragons by Morgan Rice

The concept of the story is what got me through the first three books which were purchased together but I will not be buying the other 14. The author leaves us with a cliff hanger at the end of each book and I want to know what happens to the characters but the writing leaves something to be desired. I just can't spend money on books or support authors who seem to care so little for their craft. These are first drafts that have been published in print and in digital form, no editing went into them whatsoever. Aside from the grammatical errors there are inconsistencies in the storyline and multiple phrases that are repeated over and over again for no apparent reason other than a lack of creativity to write a scene with a similar theme to an earlier one in a different way.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:19 pm

A bit behind with recording my reading, I'm afraid.

23. Euphoria by Lily King. I did not like this book at all, but then I'm not an anthropologist and have no desire to visit New Guinea.
24. Etta and Otto and Russell and James by Emma Hooper. Once I got used to the unorthodox punctuation, the story held me. Etta's long walk reminded me of Forrest Gump's run.
25. Just Beyond the Shadows by J.L. Crane. Much research has gone into the writing of this interesting/scary book. It is believable if you are convinced that Bigfoot exists.
26. The Samurai's Garden by Gail Tsukiyama. A thought-provoking story of acceptance by others, set in Japan/China in the WWII period.
27. Moby Dick by Hermann Melville. The only parts of this story that interested me were the first 20 and the last 15 pages. The rest of the 415 pages dealt mainly with (to me) boring details of whale sizes, characteristics, etc.
28. The One Memory of Flora Banks by Emily Barr. Wonderful YA story. I received it at 2pm and finished reading it at 1am the next day. Gee, I wish I could write like Emily Barr.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:27 pm

29. 50 Years of the Best Science Fiction From Analog Magazine. I grabbed this from a pile of free books. Published in 1980, stories were initially published from 1930 to 1979. Even the stories from the masters (Azimov, etc.) in this collection didn't interest me much. World building, exposition, distant narrators abounded.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:09 pm

[quote="cjr1977"]Book 22: Deep Blue Secret by Christie Anderson
Book 23: Rogue Wave by Christie Anderson
Book 24: Ambrosia Shore by Christie Anderson
Book 25: Flood Rising by Christie Anderson

This series is great so far. I couldn't put it down, in fact I think I read all four books in about a week. Now I have to wait because so far that's all she wrote although there are a few more on the way.

Book 26: A Quest of Heroes by Morgan Rice
Book 27: A March of Kings by Morgan Rice
Book 28: A Fate of Dragons by Morgan Rice

The concept of the story is what got me through the first three books which were purchased together but I will not be buying the other 14. The author leaves us with a cliff hanger at the end of each book and I want to know what happens to the characters but the writing leaves something to be desired. I just can't spend money on books or support authors who seem to care so little for their craft. These are first drafts that have been published in print and in digital form, no editing went into them whatsoever. Aside from the grammatical errors there are inconsistencies in the storyline and multiple phrases that are repeated over and over again for no apparent reason other than a lack of creativity to write a scene with a similar theme to an earlier one in a different way.[/quote]
===========

i would have quit after nr 1 if that were the case

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party