Finished drafting my fourth novel

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
wdarcy
Major

Finished drafting my fourth novel

Postby wdarcy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:19 pm

Just finished drafting the manuscript of my fourth novel, tentatively entitled DARK JOURNEY. 103,000 words, although I can probably get that below 100,000 during the editing process.

It concerns a 45-year-old American college professor whose research enables her to deduce the identity of a sadistic serial killer terrorizing Vienna. She travels to Vienna to continue her research and help the police take this killer down. In the process, she places herself and everyone around her in grave danger. The killer, who calls himself Lucifer, escalates his horrific crime spree and teaches the Vienna police the truth behind the saying "the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

I love the editing process, and am eager to begin that. I may take a slight break first, though. This July I will be workshopping the first five chapters with best-selling author Steven James in a full-day writing class at ThrillerFest.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Finished drafting my fourth novel

Postby ostarella » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:31 pm

I already want to read your new novel!

And yes, I'm still jealous about that workshop :mrgreen:
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:50 am

Warren, congrats. BTW you'll have to send the contents of your PM to me via e-mail, <plsbcbdxer "at" aol.com>, as the PM function here no longer works for me. That goes for everyone else, too -pls.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks, Shadowwalker. yeah, I had a blast writing it. I set it primarily in Vienna's Third District, as I am quite familiar with that area. Some years ago my wife and I lived there for three months, and we have revisited it since. There's a little stand on the edge of the Stadtpark that sells the best Bratwurst mit Senf. Yum! :-)
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:15 pm

[quote="ostarella"]
And yes, I'm still jealous about that workshop :mrgreen:[/quote]

Yes, I am really excited about the workshop. Three years ago, at my first ThrillerFest, I had dinner with Terry Rodgers and Steven James in the food court of Grand Central Station. I had never heard of Steven before, but as I listened to him talk about teaching writing, I knew I had to study with him one day. And having now read all his FBI thrillers and his two books on writing, and I even more eager to work with him.

--Warren

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:16 pm

[quote="pls"]Warren, congrats. BTW you'll have to send the contents of your PM to me via e-mail, <plsbcbdxer "at" aol.com>, as the PM function here no longer works for me. That goes for everyone else, too -pls.[/quote]

Thanks, Paul. I did e-mail you my PM, but I see that you have already done what I suggested. :) Thanks so much!

--Warren

Return to Writers' Block Party