Cybernara: Good title?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
sjones009
Private E-1

Cybernara: Good title?

Postby sjones009 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:46 am

I have an idea for a graphic novel about a thug who must retrieve a digital copy of his dead boyfriend's consciousness from an organized crime syndicate before the copy deteriorates and his lover is gone forever. The title is "Cybernara" as in Sayonara, the Japanese word for goodbye, because the boyfriend could potentially be gone forever. It might take place in a futuristic world where everyone keeps cyberized remnants of their deceased loved ones. I'm looking to explore themes of coping with loss, the frailty of life/mortality, absurdist ideas (the belief that human beings exist in a purposeless, chaotic universe.) and how we as humans irrationally try to avoid the truth that we all will die. Fun stuff :D

But what do you think of the title?

williamadams

Re: Cybernara: Good title?

Postby williamadams » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:31 am

when you explain it then it seems good

first impression was wtf is that

maybe i am just slow

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:38 pm

While I do like the title, it's possible some readers not familiar with the word "cyber" might latch on to the "bern" syllable and get confused, because the "rn" forces you to stress that syllable to sound more like "burn", whereas a more logical spelling of your intended sound of the word would be simply "Cybenara", which then takes away the cleverness.

Also the plot sounds intriguing. The latest season of Black Mirror handled these themes quite well across a couple of its episodes, so there's definitely some interesting ideas to explore.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:03 pm

The title didn't really mean anything to me until you explained it. I'm not sure other people would get the connection either, but it might be a curiosity thing ("Hm, wonder that's all about?"). I guess I wouldn't toss it out, but maybe consider it a "working title" until you've finished the story. Sometimes something pops up in the writing that just screams "THIS IS THE TITLE". ;)

sjones009
Private E-1

Postby sjones009 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:45 pm

You guys are all right. Cybernara is too much of an unidentified shape. I asked people and they all say the same thing. I'm going come up with better title. If anyone can suggest a working title of words or phrases that might suit the story that would be awesome. Thanks everyone

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:39 pm

cyber-sayonara

cybersouls

sjones009
Private E-1

Postby sjones009 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:34 pm

Its come down to something more poetic this time. I was thinking something like Gone with the Wind, or Philip K. Dicks "Follow My Tears, the Policeman Said"
I came up with
"Revenge of the Hologram Skull"
I think it works. My mom likes it. I'm Keeping it.
Or i might change the word revenge to something like the "Case of"

sjones009
Private E-1

Postby sjones009 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Dirge of the Hologram Skull?
I think at this point Im going to have to write the story and see what fits. I just know I want of the Hologram Skull at the end.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:53 am

[quote="sjones009"]Its come down to something more poetic this time. I was thinking something like Gone with the Wind, or Philip K. Dicks "Follow My Tears, the Policeman Said"
I came up with
"Revenge of the Hologram Skull"
I think it works. My mom likes it. I'm Keeping it.
Or i might change the word revenge to something like the "Case of"[/quote]
===============

was there a skull involved ?

sjones009
Private E-1

Postby sjones009 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:56 pm

Not sure how the skull is involved exactly but for starters the word skull was abstracted from death and its a story about death. I was thinking of the dead boyfriend's consciousness data when I thought "hologram skull". It represents his consciousness.
Maybe the vessels that allow the deceased live as data can be called "skulls" since that is where your brain and presumptively your consciousness lies. and with no body attached to it its kind of like a floating brain. So,.. Skull! Lol

Next

Return to Tips and Advice