[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Mental Illness On Olanzpine : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Mental Illness On Olanzpine

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
yellowducky
Private E-1

Mental Illness On Olanzpine

Postby yellowducky » Thu May 18, 2017 9:04 am

Hey I was wondering if I could get some help writing about my illness, :D I have no idea how to start it off without making it into a horror.

williamadams

Re: Mental Illness On Olanzpine

Postby williamadams » Thu May 18, 2017 10:41 am

[quote="yellowducky"]Hey I was wondering if I could get some help writing about my illness, :D I have no idea how to start it off without making it into a horror.[/quote]
=========

just sit down in the chair
turn on the pc
start typing

just keep typing
whatever comes to mind
dont worry if it makes sense now
and do not stop to edit or fix anything

just keep typing
let it all out
keep typing
more typing
only stop when you cant think of anything to say

if it becomes a horror then you can edit that out later
while you dig for the pony in that pile of words

just sit down in the chair
turn on the pc
start typing

just keep typing
whatever comes to mind
dont worry if it makes sense now
and do not stop to edit or fix anything

just keep typing
let it all out
keep typing
more typing
only stop when you cant think of anything to say

if it becomes a horror then you can edit that out later
while you dig for the pony in that pile of words
Last edited by williamadams on Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

yellowducky
Private E-1

Postby yellowducky » Thu May 18, 2017 2:51 pm

okay cool thanks :D

Rosedarling
Sergeant

Postby Rosedarling » Thu May 18, 2017 6:55 pm

That was cool.
Formerly known as rosebud.

sjones009
Private E-1

Postby sjones009 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:42 am

Write about how your illness makes you feel. This might mean your protagonist is sympathetic and the audience will feel sorry for them. What kind of mental illness? You come off terribly vague and offer little detail so i dont see how you expect anyone to help you. Start by soul searching, what is it about you mental illness that most irritates you? What about your mental illness makes you wish people could look inside you and understand? Is that the kind of story you want? Something like The beautiful mind? Again idk what mental illness you have so I have no idea how it can be molded into a story. Do you want the mentally ill character to be the source of the conflict, because their mental illness disrupts the characters around him?
I think the best mentally ill characters are characters who are ill yet they show a dimension of themselves that most people would not expect a mentally ill character to have. Especially since mental illness is so misunderstood in our society. A characteristic that makes them more relatable an thus more human. 'Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks is a good example, look at how Oprah WInfrey plays the main character so that people understand why she is so maladjusted and "crazy". Sometimes making audience can see the circumstances that lead the character to become mentally can help them understand the character more and give them more dimension. Even make them likable.
I suffer form mental illness as well and I write my experiences into my characters to make them real. It can be very cathartic because when you write about your mental illness into a work of fiction, you can develop a better understanding of your illness and how to cope with it.
One last suggestion id make is to research your mental illness online. Learn as much about the illness as possible.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:21 am

forum bug hits again

on my earlier message it now shows blank
when i hit edit it shows the full text
so i resubmitted and it is blank again

random missing messages is a unique bug to this new forum setup since the first server glitch some weeks back

update
i turned off bbc code and now the message shows again
go figure

Return to Tips and Advice