forum down ?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
williamadams

forum down ?

Postby williamadams » Wed May 24, 2017 4:25 pm

had generic error trying to access the forum for much of the day weds 24 may 17

looks like either the russian hackers overwhelmed it
or the host had a database crash

nice to see it working again

williamadams

Re: forum down ?

Postby williamadams » Thu May 25, 2017 9:55 am

well today i tried to reply to a new post and got errors messages saying too few characters

also displayed some error codes at the top of the page
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/message_parser.php on line 71: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead

this is to test to see if i can post at all

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu May 25, 2017 9:57 am

well i can post here

but replying elsewhere i got an error message:
Your message contains too few characters.

plus that php code shown
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/message_parser.php on line 71: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead

that problem occured when using the quote function

when i changed the: [quote
at the beginning
to: /quote

then it works okay

i see that the quote function makes that same mistake on other messages too
so looks like a new bug in the code running the updated forum software

i note that the complete ending quote is [/quote]
but the start was just [quote not [/quote] which would seem to work okay

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu May 25, 2017 10:40 am

There's definitely a problem. If I go directly to the forum, I'm not logged in (even though I logged in earlier with the "remember me" button), and when I try to log in, I get the error message that it's timed out. If I go to the home page first, then click on "community", then click on "forums", voila! I'm logged in. But I have to be careful to right click on the back button and go to "read unread posts", because otherwise it times out again.

This isn't the first time (and undoubtedly won't be the last time) that WD has had problems keeping the forum up and running, technically. WD apparently doesn't give a crap about actually engaging with the writers who support them, but rather is only interested in pushing their products. I give kudos to pls and all the other folks who have to deal with this continually and do their best to keep things moving regardless.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu May 25, 2017 11:06 am

[/quote="ostarella"]There's definitely a problem. If I go directly to the forum, I'm not logged in (even though I logged in earlier with the "remember me" button), and when I try to log in, I get the error message that it's timed out. If I go to the home page first, then click on "community", then click on "forums", voila! I'm logged in. But I have to be careful to right click on the back button and go to "read unread posts", because otherwise it times out again.

This isn't the first time (and undoubtedly won't be the last time) that WD has had problems keeping the forum up and running, technically. WD apparently doesn't give a crap about actually engaging with the writers who support them, but rather is only interested in pushing their products. I give kudos to pls and all the other folks who have to deal with this continually and do their best to keep things moving regardless.[/quote]

i got from their provider that they had had DB problems

brian indicated they had changed servers or upgraded them

the problems i see are more like overwhelmed comms and servers timing out
as well as code changes to forum software that are causing some glitches

i can understand WD or the partent company and their havingn problems
certainly the forum is less active than when i first used it decades ago
and WD is much less involved
but the forum is here

a bigger problem is where do all the new people who sign up every day disappear to
if they all were posting occasionally this would be a very active forum
and attract more people

could WD be unable/unwilling to handle success with the forum ?

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu May 25, 2017 11:52 am

WD has never done right by the forums, treating it more like the relative with nowhere else to go so "oh, alright, they can stay here...". Very discouraging. Since many people join forums and then wait to see how things work before getting too involved, it's not surprising that people disappear with all the nasty spam titles still showing up, and then the difficulties signing in, staying on, etc. There's only so much pls can do, after all, then it's on WD, and they're worthless.

Piccoro
Private E-1

Postby Piccoro » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:05 pm

Ive had tons of problems just to log in, will they fix it? maybe thats one the reasons people aren't posting frequently. Forums need an update or fix but can't complain really I still can read/post.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:11 pm

[quote="Piccoro"]Ive had tons of problems just to log in, will they fix it? maybe thats one the reasons people aren't posting frequently. Forums need an update or fix but can't complain really I still can read/post.[/quote]
=========

it does not help

but the activity here is much less than 30 years ago

some other web sites are a little more active
but over all most seem to be very slow with little use

[color=#008000]I'm having to piggyback this onto william's post, as I'm getting the too-few characters error message, too.

I don't recall having Internet 30 years ago- just bulletin boards and such.

And with my limited admin powers, I can't do a thing to fix any problems mentioned. One problem is that this site has not had a phpBB update in over two years I've written Brian, but he's just as frustrated as the rest of us are.[/color]

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:46 pm

I'm just having problems logging into the forum.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:49 am

it is bizarro
the easiest is to go to home page
and log in there