[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Fab agent has requested full MS. Mention other requests? : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Fab agent has requested full MS. Mention other requests?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Dan_Proops
Private E-1

Fab agent has requested full MS. Mention other requests?

Postby Dan_Proops » Sun May 21, 2017 5:48 am

Hi all.

I've spent six years writing, and am on my fourth novel and they were all rejected - 80 rejections in all.

So I'm a bit overwhelmed to get some interest for my new novel!

I've had a request for three full manuscripts which I've now sent out.

The agent I initially sent to knows nothing of the other full requests: and this is the agent I'm desperate for. (dream agent)

I know you are supposed to mention in new queries that you've had a full request. But I don't know whether to tell the first agent (the dream one) about the full requests from other agents.

Obv I'd tell new agents about the other interest, but am unsure whether to tell the dream guys about the requests for full manuscripts from other agents.

I don't want to pester them.

Phew - I hoped that made sense. I thought some small success would make be feel great, but it's like being hit by a tidal wave, after 6 years of rejection.

Thanks for reading and any feedback welcomed.

TY

Turniphead

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Fab agent has requested full MS. Mention other requests?

Postby ostarella » Sun May 21, 2017 9:13 am

I know what my gut response was, but I did some checking around (other forums, agent blogs, etc), and it was pretty much born out:

You don't mention other requests in a query. You don't mention it if you get a request for a full - unless the agent specifically asks. Why? The great analogy I saw was it was like asking a girl to prom and mentioning that six other girls had already said yes but had to ask their parents first. It implies the agent better act fast or s/he might lose the book - and that bit of pressure might just be enough for them to say, okay, forget it. Agents don't want to be rushed in their decision making, because there's a lot of time and money and reputation resting on that decision. But again - if the agent asks, tell them. If they ask who - well, there were varying opinions on whether or not you should tell. I guess that would up to you and your level of comfort with it.
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sun May 21, 2017 10:19 am

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sun May 21, 2017 11:49 am

[quote="williamadams"]
i would never send a full mss to more than one agent at a time but that is just me[/quote]

Might want a clarification here. You never send a full mss with a query - follow the agency guidelines as to how much they want (typically first 1-3 chapters, first 50 pages, etc). But if an agent asks for a full following the query, you send it. You don't tell an interested agent that you can't/won't send a full because someone else asked first. That's cutting off all chances of the second agent accepting it without knowing what the first one will do.
Last edited by ostarella on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly shadowwalker

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Sun May 21, 2017 12:35 pm

What Shadowwalker said.

The only exception would be if the first agent requested an exclusive submission and you agreed. Then you could not send your MS to any other agent until the exclusive expired. My advice would be never to give an exclusive, or at most set a short time period on it (e.g., one week).

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sun May 21, 2017 12:37 pm

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Sun May 21, 2017 1:22 pm

I agree you should do exactly as the agent's website requests. No question.

However, I have queried a lot of agents, and I have never come across one who requested the full manuscript along with the query letter. Not saying such agents don't exist, but I've certainly never encountered one. The norm is to ask for the first 5 pages or the first couple chapters or sometimes the first 50 pages, and some want only the query letter. But the full manuscript? I have never seen that on an agent's website.

On the other hand, when pitching to an agent in person at a conference (I've done that at ThrillerFest), some will ask that you send them the entire manuscript. But that's a different situation than e-mailing a query.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

Dan_Proops
Private E-1

Postby Dan_Proops » Mon May 22, 2017 6:35 am

Hi

Thanks for all the great responses! It's great to get your support and find such a great community.

(regarding the second agent - a different one I mentioned in my first post.

I sent the first three chapters of my novel to a top agent. Initially she rejected my first three chapters.

And said she does mostly non-fiction, so I said I had a completed memoir.
She requested the full of the memoir which I sent her.

Three hours later she requested the full MS of the novel!

We've been communicating on her personal email and thought it best if I mentioned another agent has been requested.

I don't understand why you can't mention agents that request fulls that you've had a full request from another agent.

If a baby kid has got a red block and his friend has the blue block, he's gonna want the blue block.

If others have shown interest in your novel, I have no idea why mentioning a full req from another agent is bad. As long as it's done subtly without bragging.

It's only providing truthful information.

I can't see how it would be bad to do this.

TYVM

Turnip

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Mon May 22, 2017 8:18 am

[quote="Dan_Proops"]
I don't understand why you can't mention agents that request fulls that you've had a full request from another agent.

If a baby kid has got a red block and his friend has the blue block, he's gonna want the blue block.

If others have shown interest in your novel, I have no idea why mentioning a full req from another agent is bad. As long as it's done subtly without bragging.

It's only providing truthful information.

I can't see how it would be bad to do this.[/quote]

I only reported what I found on other forums and on agent blogs. They all recommended against it unless specifically asked, and why. Nothing is stopping you from doing what you want to do.
Last edited by ostarella on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly shadowwalker

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Mon May 22, 2017 10:14 am

Next

Return to Tips and Advice