[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Weekly Update Schedule & Quality Control : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Weekly Update Schedule & Quality Control

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Jesse Graves
Private E-1

Weekly Update Schedule & Quality Control

Postby Jesse Graves » Fri May 12, 2017 2:06 am

Hello. As the title says, I'm looking for some advice from people on this matter.

I'm in progress of writing for a web novel I'm doing for practice and exposure in preparation for the novel I want to write. I'm aware that a novel being sent to a publisher needs re-writes and editing...a lot of rewriting and editing. A web novel on the other hand is another beast entirely. If I'm looking to keep to an update schedule and be consistent then it means that I'll have to keep a brisk pace once I start.

One thing I am planning on doing is that I'm not going to start posting anything until I have a buffer in place. No idea how large that will be at this time. The issue I'm pacing back and forth around the room about is how would I keep effective quality control once I start updating. So how would I go about making sure I squash as many errors as possible while still writing new entries and keeping on schedule when I have to play both writer and editor?

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Weekly Update Schedule & Quality Control

Postby ostarella » Fri May 12, 2017 9:09 am

First thing is to make sure your update schedule is realistic, and build some flexibility into it. Don't build up readers expectations that yes, it's Friday, there will be a new chapter!

As to the editing, I'm an edit-as-you-go writer, so I don't spend much time re-doing after the fact. For me, it's much easier (and less time-consuming) to find the problems and make the decisions when I'm right there, versus trying to go back and find them and then possibly doing massive rewrites to "continue" the fix.
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Wed May 17, 2017 12:25 pm

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Wed May 17, 2017 11:07 pm

Even without an outline, it's easy enough not to have to go back and fix if you just pay attention to what you've already written. Whatever comes next has to follow logically what has already happened.
Formerly shadowwalker

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu May 18, 2017 10:39 am

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu May 18, 2017 11:19 am

Formerly shadowwalker

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu May 18, 2017 3:59 pm

some people can do it without any outline or guides
some can't

i merely note that having the outline would help ensure there are no problems
once it is posted it would be hard to rewrite and revise let alone embarrassing

if you write the novel first and then release it in serial format you have no risk
and can write the next one while you are slowly posting chapters from the first one

and if you take the time to polish and perfect it then you are more likely to have readers
than if you rush to post something just to meet arbitrary dates with questionable quality

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu May 18, 2017 4:35 pm

Formerly shadowwalker

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu May 18, 2017 7:33 pm

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu May 18, 2017 7:42 pm

Just goes to show how differently writers think. I also hate to waste effort, which is why I hate the idea of getting "done" with a story and then having to go back make changes which could mean tossing whole chapter(s) and redoing them. I'd rather get it right the first time. ;)
Formerly shadowwalker

Next

Return to Tips and Advice