[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Animal POV Problems : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Animal POV Problems

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Ingomayethu
Private E-1

Animal POV Problems

Postby Ingomayethu » Tue May 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Hey!

Workshopping people's preferences on an issue I've encountered when writing in third-limited animal POVs - how realistic do you need the POV to be in order to suspend disbelief?

Specifically, if I have a few chapters in a novel that are told from the 3rd limited perspective of a wolf, do you expect a colorblind view of the world? No reds and greens? I've put a lot of effort into conceptualizing the world primarily through smell and sound cues, but there are instances where I'm very tempted to describe things in color, and one plot point that is dependent on the redness of an object, and it just occurred to me that a wolf would not actually be able to tell the difference between red and green. Would it be jarring for you as a reader to have a wolf notice redness?

Also, I'm generally curious about people's experiences when writing xenofiction / animal POVs. What challenges/problems have you encountered and how did you get around them? How much biological realism do you aim for? I'm guessing it varies based on where your writing is on the anthropomorphism spectrum, but I thought it would be fun to share and learn from other trans-species writers! :lol:

Terra
Private E-1

Re: Animal POV Problems

Postby Terra » Wed May 10, 2017 6:44 am

Well, when you anthropomorphize something, you ascribe human features to it. Humans can differentiate between red and green so therefore, no, it wouldn't be jarring to me at all.

Just my opinion. :)

Terra

Noizchild
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Noizchild » Wed May 10, 2017 7:55 pm

This topic is interesting. I might have to try it out some time.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Rosedarling
Sergeant

Postby Rosedarling » Sun May 14, 2017 6:17 pm

I have a project with unique birds creatures and I gave them certain human characteristics. Perhaps this is because when I've had pets I spoke with them as if they had human qualities. Just saying.
Formerly known as rosebud.

Noizchild
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Noizchild » Sun May 14, 2017 8:43 pm

You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Rosedarling