[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
You look just like my Barbie Doll! AKA, can I get sued? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

You look just like my Barbie Doll! AKA, can I get sued?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Fantasy
Major

You look just like my Barbie Doll! AKA, can I get sued?

Postby Fantasy » Sun May 07, 2017 2:16 pm

I am writing a story with a character that used to be a Barbie Doll that has come to life; the character doesn't know she was ever a barbie doll but does answer to the name given by her former owner. "Hey, you're my Barbie Doll!" is not a main character but will pop up in the story a few times.

She's not part of the title, either. The title of the story is Wish; it's about a little girl that gets transported to a magical kingdom and wakes up as a princess. Her Teddy Bear (King Guk) makes an appearance as a Knight in Shining Armor as does her Barbie Doll (Barbie). A Maiden in Shining Armor, so to speak, Barbie helps our main character try to get home.

I haven't decided if she does, actually, get home or not. The characters haven't divulged that information to me yet.

Do I have a concern that I will be sued by Mattel?

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: You look just like my Barbie Doll! AKA, can I get sued?

Postby ostarella » Sun May 07, 2017 3:59 pm

Not a lawyer, but yeah, I think you'd be in pretty big trouble if you didn't have Mattel's permission to use their trademarks in your story. It'd be different if a character told another character she looked like a Barbie doll - but to use a Barbie doll as a character almost definitely not a good idea. I wouldn't think, based on your scenario, that specifying any brand name would really be necessary. As long the reader knows it's a former doll, the story arc shouldn't change.
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

Fantasy
Major

Postby Fantasy » Sun May 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Please allow me to clarify, as I think my question has clouded my... question. It's a full sized woman that looks like her Barbie Doll. Not the barbie doll itself.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sun May 07, 2017 5:31 pm

Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

Fantasy
Major

Postby Fantasy » Sun May 07, 2017 5:48 pm

Awesome, thanks!

Return to Writers' Block Party