writer's 'discouraged'-block newbie

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
absolom
Private E-1

writer's 'discouraged'-block newbie

Postby absolom » Thu May 04, 2017 3:07 pm

I have some book ideas that I want to develop, and eventually publish, in the field of music education, but it feels like my feet are stuck in a big block of concrete.

Reason #1
Whenever I am on the internet researching, I come across other authors in my field, and inevitably click on the links out of curiosity. This curiosity very quickly morphs into "Wow, they are really good. How will my work compare to theirs.". I know that there are always lots of books by lots of authors all on similar topics, but when I come across examples that pertain to my work, I am immediately discouraged thinking "It's already been done."

Reason #2
One of my projects is a workbook agenda that will be available to purchase as a digital download. How do you protect it? What's to stop a music school from purchasing the download and then copying it for everyone". So, the 'neurotic' me won't hit the "upload" button and make it available to purchase.

I would really appreciate some advice... and a jack hammer for the concrete.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: writer's 'discouraged'-block newbie

Postby ostarella » Thu May 04, 2017 3:48 pm

[quote="absolom"]I have some book ideas that I want to develop, and eventually publish, in the field of music education, but it feels like my feet are stuck in a big block of concrete.

Reason #1
Whenever I am on the internet researching, I come across other authors in my field, and inevitably click on the links out of curiosity. This curiosity very quickly morphs into "Wow, they are really good. How will my work compare to theirs.". I know that there are always lots of books by lots of authors all on similar topics, but when I come across examples that pertain to my work, I am immediately discouraged thinking "It's already been done."

[color=#0000BF]First, everything has already been done. The challenge (and fun) is doing it YOUR way. Comparing yourself to others will do exactly what it is doing - keep [i]you [/i]from doing. Second, discipline yourself not to follow that curiosity while researching. Get what you need for your research and move on.[/color]

Reason #2
One of my projects is a workbook agenda that will be available to purchase as a digital download. How do you protect it? What's to stop a music school from purchasing the download and then copying it for everyone". So, the 'neurotic' me won't hit the "upload" button and make it available to purchase.

[color=#0000BF]I'm not that familiar with digital books, but I do know that for every method designed to stop thieves, there is a 95% chance there's a workaround. Make sure you have registered your copyright - no, it's not "necessary" but it gives your lawsuit more bite when you find out your copyright may have been violated. Be sure to check out [url]https://www.copyright.gov/title17/[/url].[/color][/quote]
Last edited by ostarella on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

absolom
Private E-1

Postby absolom » Mon May 08, 2017 3:02 pm

Thank you Ostarella.
I've put a copy of your reply on my desk so I can look at when I'm starting to get discouraged.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Wed May 10, 2017 6:09 pm

Yes, every idea has already been done, but not yet done by you. The author's fresh originality of handling and style is what people come to read.

As for the thieving, if someone wants it that badly, it's going to happen. I work in I.T. for my day job, and basically there's no such thing as 100% hack-proof DRM (Digital Rights Management). A lot of people will inevitably steal it, and a lot of people will be honest and pay for it. You just need to have the quality of product and the right pricing to give people more incentive to go down the latter path.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

absolom
Private E-1

Postby absolom » Mon May 15, 2017 3:22 pm

Thank you CynicalWanderer.
"Yes, every idea has already been done, but not yet done by you." will become my new mantra :D

"if someone wants it that badly, it's going to happen. "
You reminded me of when I used to live on my sailboat. We used to chuckle when we saw a boat with a padlock on the hatch, because we knew that a padlock is useless on a boat hatch if someone wants to get in.

Sometimes you just need to hear it from someone else in order to make a connection.

Return to Writers' Block Party