[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
1,000 copies sold : Success Stories • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

1,000 copies sold

It's OK to brag here! In fact, we encourage it. Tell your fellow writers about your most recent sale, a new market you cracked, etc.
Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

1,000 copies sold

Postby Brien Sz » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:26 am

I have self published two books. The first one I published was in May, 2014. After a year and a half of pitching it - some agents liked it but thought it was too regional, I opted to launch it into the world. Reception has been slow, averaging about 5 books a month. High water mark was 15 for a month. But the reviews on both Goodreads and Amazon have been positive.

However, it's my second venture that I released just before Thanksgiving, 2016, that has me surprised and pleased. In going over the numbers, I realized that I hit the 1,000 mark a couple weeks ago, just over three months to the day I launched it.

Certainly not retiring or quitting my day job anytime soon but it is nice to have that extra cash.

Just thought I would share.

williamadams

Re: 1,000 copies sold

Postby williamadams » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:40 am

congratulations

regional books can do well
but they need to be marketed differently

i dont see any book by your name(s) on amazon at all
althogh one had you listed as doing the cover art

pls give us the title of the one that sold 1000

apparently you use a pen name jj crane
but still your real name as cover artist
on that jersey devil book

i am guessing the 1000 seller was shadows not devil
Last edited by williamadams on Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:01 pm

Congratulations, Brian. It's encouraging to hear of success like that. Thank you for sharing.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

yellowducky
Private E-1

Postby yellowducky » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:45 pm

1,000 sold WOW That's amazing whats your inspiration ??? :P

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Tue May 02, 2017 8:15 pm

Money.

Rosedarling
Sergeant

Postby Rosedarling » Wed May 03, 2017 11:35 am

Congratulations Brien! Thanks for sharing the great news.
Formerly known as rosebud.

legalwriter
Private E-1

Postby legalwriter » Wed May 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Thanks for sharing. I think 1,000 copies sold is a good minimum marker for a book depending on the publisher. Your royalty rate also depends on the sale price.

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Fri May 19, 2017 11:59 pm

Good job Brien! I'd love to hit the 1,000 copies mark, but no where near that yet. What do you think is the reason for your 2nd book's success? Did you do any special marketing for it or do promotional pricing (99 cents) to boost sales/reviews? I've tried several things to market my 2 books, but I'm still searching for what works best.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Sun May 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Minimal marketing - essentially I targeted the intended audience and spent about 10-20 dollars a month on Facebook advertising and threw a few dollars advertising on Goodreads. The book sells for 2.99 as an e-book and it is available in softcover. Sales have slowed a little but I am around 1500 sold now.

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Mon May 22, 2017 12:32 pm

Those are fantastic sales numbers, especially for such little marketing that you've done. It makes me wonder how much your sales might increase if you did more marketing (e.g., Amazon sponsored ads, social media blitz, etc.). In any case, it sounds like whatever you are doing is working great! Congrats again.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

Next

Return to Success Stories