[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Which is correct? : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Which is correct?

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
jackitaylor
Private First Class

Which is correct?

Postby jackitaylor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:49 am

I have heard that "alright" is wrong and it should be "all right". I noticed in closed captioning on TV, "all right" was used. But I use googledocs to write usually, and google marks "all right" with a red line under both words and wants me to use "alright". So which is correct? I do plan on seeking traditional publishing, so with that in mind, which should I use? Thank you, in advance, for your assistance or opinions.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Which is correct?

Postby cynicalwanderer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:17 am

"All right" is what proper grammar educators would have you use. "Alright" isn't technically even a word but it does have a lot of social usage and acceptance, and will no doubt eventually become legitimate, but to appeal best to publishers I'd stick with "all right".
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Postby jackitaylor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:09 am

Thank you for your quick reply, cynicalwanderer. I understand that. I've no idea why google wants to mark "all right" as wrong. But I have noticed other things marked as wrong on googledocs, that shouldn't be. thanks again.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:39 am

I suspect it's because "alright" is fairly commonly used in younger and/or more technical crowds, so perhaps someone on the googledocs team coded it with that sort of grammatical bias. Though it is surprising that their algorithm marks "all right" as wrong, which is a pretty blatant flaw.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Word does the same with "any more" except that it underscores it with a blue line, not a red one.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Postby jackitaylor » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:10 am

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:49 am

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Postby jackitaylor » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:36 am

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Sorry. My mistake. I misunderstood your post. You have got it right. :)

Return to FAQs