[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Music and Writing : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Music and Writing

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Music and Writing

Postby ostarella » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:44 am

I can't have any music on when I'm writing. I just automatically morph into the songs and can't concentrate on the writing. I do, however, have the TV going - that I can concentrate against.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:50 pm

I listen to rock n roll, country, heavy metal, and alternative. I don't distracted by music; it inspires me when I'm writing. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

Ingomayethu
Private E-1

Postby Ingomayethu » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:58 pm

Great topic!

I actually have three tiers of "writing" music (and, apparently, a habit of tiering everything):

1) Mood music: this is what I listen to on the commute from my day job to wherever I'm going to write, or during a pre-writing run. The songs don't have to be instrumental. Just anything to which I can visualize a scene or theme from my novel. The story is set in 18th century India, so right now I've got a lot of Indian music, but also rock and hip-hop with Indian samples, etc.

2) "Writing" music: this is what I listen to while actually putting the words down on paper. 100% instrumental... or in a foreign language. I've found that words that I can't understand generally don't distract me. The vocals just become another instrument.

3) "Deep writing"/"Scene" music: sometimes I find the perfect song for a particular scene, and I just put it on repeat... and then just lose myself to the scene and its soundtrack. Really immersive, especially if you've got big headphones.

I tend to find these on YouTube, just browsing through amateur instrumentals. Use good search words and you'll find plenty to choose from. Or check out the YouTube channel "Soul Candle", which has themed hour-long playlists of instrumentals that fit different world regions, time periods, moods, genres, etc. Once you find something you like on YouTube, plug it into youtuberepeater.com and go nuts. :D

Alice Clay
Private E-2

Postby Alice Clay » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:29 pm

I listen to Evanescence, Alice in Chains, Metallica, Jethro Tull to get me in the mood for writing. Then I must write in silence. Sometimes I pound the piano in frustration and then go back at it.

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:26 pm

Anyone on Playmoss?
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Lbeauchesne
Private First Class

Postby Lbeauchesne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:00 pm

It depends. If I want to relax and let my writing flow, I like a bit of Jean Michel Jarre or Francis Rimbert. If I want to get words down (deadline, word war), then it's strictly Francis Rimbert's Dawn of Light on repeat.
Formerly known as MsMotty/Linzi82

Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them so that others may also share in our triumphs.

dotk1988
Private E-1

Postby dotk1988 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:57 pm

I have a playlist on Spotify for when I write that is filled with movie and television soundtracks. I find that most of the music, especially when dramatic, inspires me to write better scenes. Many times it matches the scene perfectly and I actually feel excited. I think it's at those times that my writing flows the smoothest and turns out much better than other times.

bluenotes
Private E-1

Postby bluenotes » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:05 am

Depends on how serious I need to get with my writing.

Music has a strong impact on the way I write and what i end up writing so I try to avoid listening to music if I need to get down something very original and important. However light classical music works best for just about anything.

traumerei by schumann for example isnt distracting and its actually relaxing.
chopin ballada n1 is one of my top favorites but its very distracting because the mood and tempo keeps changing.

amiereisig
Private E-1

Postby amiereisig » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:34 am

I listen to instrumental music, leaning more to classical. If it has lyrics, I'm too easily distracted.

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:21 am

You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party