[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Pantsing : Writers' Block Party • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Pantsing

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Pantsing

Postby ostarella » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:36 pm

Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Last edited by williamadams on Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:55 pm

Not learning how to write in college? You must have avoided the English department. I thought I knew how to write fiction until I took a course from Keith Denniston at Emporia State, "Fiction and the Art of Criticism". We wrote a short story about every week, and my first attempt was so bad that he read it aloud to the class and poked holes in it. I ended up auditing the class a second time so I could pick up what I'd missed the first time. Served me well through 34 years of teaching language arts (not to mention 13 1/2 novels).
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:12 pm

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:07 pm

We had creative writing classes in high school. I think that's where I learned that writing wasn't just reports and bibliographies and cites, etc. And even though I don't write poetry any more, those were the sections where I learned to experiment and really think out of the box, which then carried over to prose writing. I consider myself very lucky that our school offered those classes. Didn't take any in college - at that point in time I never considered writing to be more than a hobby and you don't spend college funds on hobbies :cry:
Formerly shadowwalker

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:15 pm

Lbeauchesne
Private First Class

Postby Lbeauchesne » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:35 pm

We had creative writing as part of our English classes in secondary school. Even in primary school (sorry, I don't know the equivalents outside UK) I remember having to write poems and short stories based on a theme that we had been learning about. Not sure that sort of thing is still part of the UK curriculum, but it was in the 80's/90's.
We had to do fantasy, romance, ghost story, a mock trial of Lady Macbeth, newspaper articles about school events/news.
We always got feedback, telling us what we did well and what didn't work and ideas of how to improve it.
As I say, that was my experience of school in the UK, different curriculum.
Formerly known as MsMotty/Linzi82

Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them so that others may also share in our triumphs.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:43 pm

[quote="williamadams"]you went to a fancier HS than i did [/quote]

Actually, it was cinder block and tile; my graduating class had 73 students - and we were one of the bigger classes.
Last edited by ostarella on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly shadowwalker

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:43 pm

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:14 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

PreviousNext