[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Is writing a series of unfinished tales a decent idea? : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Is writing a series of unfinished tales a decent idea?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
sjones009
Private E-1

Is writing a series of unfinished tales a decent idea?

Postby sjones009 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Since Its so hard for me to finish writing a story after the second act, what if I make a bunch of short stories that end wherever I got stuck? I have a lot of stories that I could never complete because I would have difficulty with plot or character development. I can make a series out of my many manuscripts that were never completed. I plan on making them into animated comic books you can watch online. My question is, do you see how an idea like this might not work down the line? Im going to do this anyway but the idea seems so odd to me i feel a bit skeptical about it. So im asking people what they think.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Is writing a series of unfinished tales a decent idea?

Postby ostarella » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:52 pm

Who would want to read unfinished stories? Why would anyone want to read them? Unless it's the last unfinished ms from a famed/beloved and dead author, I can't see that being very successful.

Maybe instead of deciding you can't finish anything, you need to choose a story and take it to the end. Good, bad, or indifferent, finish it. Then take the next one and finish that. Develop the habit of finishing. It's the first step in developing the discipline needed to be a writer.
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

sjones009
Private E-1

Postby sjones009 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:40 pm

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:27 pm

I'm getting the distinct feeling that you don't really know what a short story is, and I'd strongly suggest that you find some examples of flash fiction as well as longer fiction to study - perhaps not the 100 examples that I usually recommend to beginners but enough to get a good feeling for what constitutes a complete short story, a piece of art in itself.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Return to Tips and Advice