[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What are your top 3 book cover tips? : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What are your top 3 book cover tips?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Dreaming Imrryr
Sergeant First Class

What are your top 3 book cover tips?

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:58 am

Hi everybody. :)

What are your top 3 book cover tips that you have heard or came up with yourself?

williamadams

Re: What are your top 3 book cover tips?

Postby williamadams » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:09 am

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:42 pm

Review covers of books in your book's genre.

Then make yours different. I've seen way too many covers that are merely variants of books on the market, and I've wondered if they were all purchased from the same cover designer.

My own covers, most of which I designed myself with Adobe CS2, are definitely not prize-winners, but they are consistent with each other, feature some of my own photographs, and are different from other YA novels' covers.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Dreaming Imrryr
Sergeant First Class

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:58 pm

Hi everybody. :)

Here are my top three book cover design tips, use these tips at your own risk, I am not responsible for the failure of your book if the following tips are used:

1.) The cover should be genre appropriate: fantasy books should have fantasy elements on the cover, sci-fi books should have sci-fi elements on the cover, horror books should have horror elements on the cover, western books should have western elements on the cover, steamy romance should have steamy elements on the cover, sweet romance should have sweet elements on the cover, etc.

Cross-genre books should have elements of each of its genres.

2.) The cover should be audience appropriate: readers who like sweet romance would pass by a steamy romance cover, and readers who like steamy romance would pass by a sweet romance cover.

3.) The cover should tell a visual story, and/or be mysterious (mysterious covers aren't just for mystery novels), and/or be action oriented (action covers aren't just for action/adventure novels).

Return to Tips and Advice