[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Music and Writing : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Music and Writing

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
furyzombie
Private E-1

Music and Writing

Postby furyzombie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:13 am

What kind of music do you listen to while you write? Do you make specific playlists? Do you only listen to instrumental music? What's everyone's preference?

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Music and Writing

Postby cynicalwanderer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:38 am

Just my usual playlists which are mostly classic rock and ballads.

Although if I'm trying to concentrate and something deep like a Leonard Cohen song comes up, I'll often skip past that track so that my brain doesn't get distracted by the lyrics.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:48 am

Silence is my usual choice, but I have several folk music lists on Pandora that I'll listen to. Classical music is another choice.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:08 am

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:50 pm

Any kind of noise distracts me when writing. I enjoy listening to music (classical/easy listening) but not when I'm working.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Brien Sz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:00 pm

I have several Pandora stations. Once into the fingers banging away, I don't even realize it's there.

furyzombie
Private E-1

Postby furyzombie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:28 am

furyzombie
Private E-1

Postby furyzombie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:30 am

What I usually do is make playlists that inspire me for characters or scenes, etc., and then I put those on my phone or iPod and listen to them while I'm driving(which I do a lot).

I get my best dialogue, plotting, and general thinking done while I'm in the car. It's almost like a meditation for me. Anyone else do this?

Blessed00
Private E-1

Postby Blessed00 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:37 pm

Classical or soundscapes, and the serenity that comes with it. Now a days, it's a struggle just to get silence (after said responsibilities of wife and mother. Gotta' love it though!).

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:03 pm

Anything and everything.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Next