[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
2017 Reading Challenge : Writers' Block Party • Page 5 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

2017 Reading Challenge

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
DrG2
Colonel

Re: 2017 Reading Challenge

Postby DrG2 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:53 pm

10. The Year’s Best Science Fiction and Fantasy 2014, edited by Rich Horton. Prime Books, publisher. What a stinking pile of crap! 574 pages, 35 stories, and few were even decent. After I got halfway through this I started skipping stories if the first pages were dreadful. The thing most of the stories had in common was a large chunk of exposition (world building or character description or the main character expressing his world-view) at the beginning. For those I finished reading, most didn’t get any better. Goes to show you anyone can make a best-of anthology. Good thing I bought it for a dollar as a used book.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:58 pm

I read every evening, usually finishing about midnight or even later, and always tell myself that I will review the novel in the morning. But I don't. Now that I have read so many books, I haven't the incentive to write reviews but I will update my "have read" list.

9. The Irish Cottage: Finding Elizabeth. Juliet Gauvin. (Romance - mushy)
10. Space Team by Barry Hutchison (Space Fantasy - funny)
11. Draw The Line by Ryan Duff. (Space Fantasy with long boring bits)
12. The Ponder Heart by Eudora Welty (Funny-ish)
13. The Friessens - A New Beginning by Lorhainne Eckhardt (Romance - deals with 4 families)
14. The Little Old Lady who Broke all the Rules) by Catharine Ingelman-Sundberg (Droll)
15. The Story of Charlotte's Web by Michael Sims (Interesting biography)
16. Winterdance by Gary Paulsen (Iditerod story)
17. The Latino President by Joe Rothstein (Political intrigue)
18. Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund (Spin-off from "Moby Dick")
19. March by Geraldine Brooks. (Spin off from "Little Women")
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

cjr1977
Private E-1

Postby cjr1977 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:29 am

cjr1977
Private E-1

Postby cjr1977 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:32 am

Book 8:
Dreamlander by KM Weiland

This is one of those books where the further in you get the harder it becomes to put it down.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:01 am

1. DANCE OF THE DWARFS - Geoffrey Household - ***** - (week ending March 25, 2017)

Written in diary form. An agriculturist in Colombia, South America, is plagued by "duendes", who soon reveal their true nature and menace him.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:36 pm

3. Post-Human (Post Human Series book 2) By David Simpson
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

cjr1977
Private E-1

Postby cjr1977 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:26 pm

Book 9: Sinful Cinderella by Anita Valle
This was actually a novella, had it not been I probably wouldn't have finished it. The concept was intriguing but the writing was terribly lacking and just plain dull. Not only did it lack anything that made me want to care about a single character but it was full of grammatical and formatting errors that should have been addressed before publication.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:49 pm

11. The Pale Horseman, by Bernard Cornwell. ****1/2. Continues the story of Uhtred from "The Last Kingdom," a young nobleman of Northumbria who had been kidnapped by Danes with whom he grew up for he next decade or so. Now he is helping King Alfred take back Wessex from the Danes. Ends with a battle scene followed by minimal denouement, which is OK, I guess, because the story continues in the next book.

It was a little slow-going at the start, but it picked up. I love Cornwell's clean and clear prose. Although this book is "historical fiction," I think it would be a great choice for fantasy writers to read as well. Uhtred does not act like a 21st Century person, so the reader might find him a little brutal.

cjr1977
Private E-1

Postby cjr1977 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:40 am

Book 10: UnEnchanted: An Unfortunate Fairy Tale by Chanda Hahn
So I was a little worried after the last fairy tale I read but this one was much better. There were still some flaws in the editing but at least there was some sort of storyline although the ending was a little too convenient and didn't seem to require much thought from the writer. Still, I will probably go back to Amazon and get the next book in this series.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:55 pm

12. Norse Mythology, by Neil Gaiman. ****1/2. A series of stories about Norse gods, mostly Odin, Thor, and Loki. Apparently based on the Prose and Poetic "Edda," rather than on Gaiman's original stories.

It reads at times like a resource book, and at other times like a book for young readers. Certainly easy to read.

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party