[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What are your top 3 tips for self-editing? : Tips and Advice • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What are your top 3 tips for self-editing?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: What are your top 3 tips for self-editing?

Postby cynicalwanderer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:23 am

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:31 am

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:08 am

One space after a period has been the standard for on-screen manuscripts for many years, even before "The Mac Is Not a Typewriter" was published over 20 years ago. It's simply not necessary. Even MS Word autocorrects two spaces to one.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:05 pm

g-girl3
Private E-1

Postby g-girl3 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:53 pm

This is a hard one for me because I too love the double space. I've read many books, both digital and print, where I've struggled to figure out where one sentence ends and another begins. That said, insisting on retaining that double space is a good way to shoot yourself in the foot. My niece failed a very important typing test when the computer kicked back multiple errors in what she thought was a flawless manuscript—all of them were for the double space. Like it or not, the single space is the norm and it would be a shame to lose a chance at publication because of a refusal to accept that.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:44 pm

I also learned to type using double spaces and it was hard to break the habit. Now it's second-nature. And comparing older (much older) books I have with new ones, even with my lousy eyesight I don't see any difference in ease of reading. If anything, the double space looks kinda weird. lol
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:00 am

most writers have much bigger problems to worry about than double spacing after a period to make the mss easier to read

how double spacing can be considered a top ten tip for editing is a mystery to me.
the spacing is for the book production layout people to decide
and the author does not need to worry about that at all.

and most mss are printed as if they had been typed so should have the double space.
let the publisher do a global change along with fonts, ledding, and other layout issue they handle
which have nothing to do with an author and his editing.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:13 pm

99% of manuscript formatting here, in the WD forums, has to do with what agents want to see, not publishers. Above all, check the agents' pages for requirements before sending queries and partial manuscripts (unless they specifically tell you NOT to send any part of your manuscript, go ahead and send the first chapter or so in the same document as the query. The worst that can happen is that they'll stop reading after the query.).
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:34 pm

If you can't follow simple directions... why would I bother reading? Having had the opportunity to attend a couple conferences, you learn that agents are busy. Your 'great' story is simply one of hundreds a day they receive and if you aren't following protocol, there's a pretty good chance they simply went, NEXT!

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:01 pm

Previous

Return to Tips and Advice