[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
A moral dilemma : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

A moral dilemma

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mikep987654321
Private E-1

A moral dilemma

Postby mikep987654321 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Okay. So I've been writing and submitting short fiction for a number of years. I've always written what I want to write, which isn't necessarily what the magazines publish. After eight years, I've yet to sell one thing.

Recently, I tried an experiment. I wrote a mildly pretentious story in the second person--the sort of thing I hate to read--and submitted it to a big SF magazine that publishes those kinds of stories. My story actually made it to the second round before being rejected with a very detailed letter. (By "detailed," I mean a six-paragraph email by one of the biggest SF editors in the short fiction world.) I was pleasantly surprised, but also mad at myself for not being honest in my writing.

I see a path to succeed. My dilemma is that I want to be a professional writer but apparently I can't unless I write the kind of fiction I hate. Should I just suck it up and work towards a real chance at succeeding after so many years of failure, or keep writing what I enjoy and probably never sell any of it?

williamadams

Re: A moral dilemma

Postby williamadams » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:10 pm

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:41 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by Dreaming Imrryr on Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cjr1977
Private E-1

Postby cjr1977 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:58 pm

I suppose it depends on your definitions of success, professional, and failure.

However if you don't like to write or read those kind of stories why do it? And if you don't like to read those kind of stories there have to be others that would think/feel the same way and wouldn't even pick up that particular magazine or those types of magazines.

I would use the feedback and see how it can be applied to the writing you enjoy doing. Don't look at it as something that is never going to sell, you only sell yourself short with that sort of attitude. I would also utilize the resources you have now that you are in this group. Use the critique boards to find out what other people think of your writing and help you pick it apart to make it better. In addition to this group, I also have individual critique partners, they are the first ones to see my writing after I've done my first edit. They are incredibly helpful in finding holes and through their comments I can also figure out passages that are confusing or taken the wrong way.

g-girl3
Private E-1

Postby g-girl3 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:57 pm

First, I will take you at your word. I don't need to know the name of the magazine or editor—in fact, not listing them shows better judgement than most people have these days. So many people burn bridges by making comments on public forums that come back to haunt them later. Second, I know what you're saying—I've fallen into the trap of that kind of thinking. Markets for the type of writing I enjoy always seem to be shrinking, and sometimes they genuinely are, but often it's me who hasn't done her research. Before you submit, know the publication you're submitting to—know it well, not just a glance through. If it isn't a fit for you then acknowledge that and move on. Tastes change and what's old is new—with patience and diligence, you can find your niche. That said, I wouldn't be above writing in a style I'm not fond of if the pay was good—problem is, I probably wouldn't be very good at it. ;)

Alice Clay
Private E-2

Postby Alice Clay » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:21 pm

Suck it up and find a way to make it your own.

mikep987654321
Private E-1

Postby mikep987654321 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:34 pm

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:58 pm

if you want to be a professional writer then you need to learn to write like a professional

it is easier to sell them what they want to buy
than to get them to buy what you want to sell

they seem to like your writing
just not the content you offer that was well done

so either suck it up and write what they like like a pro
or continue to be an amateur and write what you like

pros write the specific genre on deadline with the exact word count
amateurs can pants the crap out of it , take as long as they like, have any word count, and who knows what genre when they were flying blind with no idea where they were going

grinning bear had some good advice
submit what you like to some other SF mags
or artsy literary journals or whatever

publish your own book of short stories on nook

but if you want clips from the big SF mags then you better just write what they want to buy today

sounds like you are close to success but sabotaging yourself for some reason

Brsaye
Private E-1

Postby Brsaye » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:33 pm

New in the forums, so apologies if I seem out of place. But I would not 'suck it up' and write what they want to sell if I were you. I've started and stopped a dozen novels before I found what I really wanted to write and I don't plan on going back, regardless of where I end up. I guess the question you need to ask yourself is what do you want to do? Not simply what do you want to write because you already seem to know what you want to write. I can't speak for you, of course, but I would not consider myself a success if I wrote something I didn't enjoy and ended up selling well and making a living. I can make a living hundreds of ways. I want it to be by writing because I like writing. If my goal is to simply be successful, I would be doing something else. So in the end, I would say to write what you want but do what someone else above me said and take the critiques you received and try to apply it to what you like to write. Find a way to make your writing relevant, don't change what you write so someone else will like it.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:42 am

Return to Writers' Block Party