[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Hero's Journey vs The Three Act Structure : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

The Hero's Journey vs The Three Act Structure

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
shadowwalker
Captain

Re: The Hero's Journey vs The Three Act Structure

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:38 pm

We should bear in mind that writing without structure or forethought doesn't necessitate writing gibberish, nor does it necessitate more than one draft to be marketable. Once again, whatever works for you is what you should do. :)
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:12 am

Blow up the bridge?!

Niels Cornelis
Private E-1

Postby Niels Cornelis » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:02 am

No disagreement here. :) I love the idea of writing a loose first draft in which anything can happen. But then rework it till everything is as good as I can make it (sometimes it takes me months to get that idea that finishes the story).
Hi there, I'm looking for feedback on my stories. . Tell me what you think. Thanks!

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:44 am

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:48 am

I just tell a story. Both the Hero's Journey and the Three Act Structure are illusions. The first is nothing more than a standard quest style story, and is as likely to have three acts as any other story. As for the three acts, they're nothing more than putting a bitof a break in two places. The design of this is sim[ly to give the actors in a stage place a chance to change the set and costumes, and the audience a chance to stretch, drink, smoke, or whatever.

Great, successful movies have been made from every type of novel there is, and I know from experience that the ONLY thing Hollywood cares about at all is box office numbers, and usually base this on number of book sales.

The Fantastical
Private E-1

Postby The Fantastical » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:15 pm

I think that yes having some form of timing in your novel is a good idea, you need to know when to move on from the set up, to the action to the conclusion so having that structure there can help with that. Buuuuut I think that is is less important to have is clearly see-able to the reader as you suggested in your post.

If you are writing a short than yes having a beginning middle and end all clearly there on the page is important but a novel is a much more fluid in it's rhythm as you have multiple plot point within a novel that might all be a different points in that structural arc. I would just keep in mind the rhythm of the structure you want to use and let it just guide you in the shaping of your novel rather than trying to make it form clear sections? :?:
“Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.”
― Douglas Adams, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Dreaming Imrryr
Sergeant First Class

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:46 pm

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:36 pm

Alice Clay
Private E-2

Postby Alice Clay » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:45 pm

Is it too late to reply to this post? I just want to thank Shadowwalker. My first 2 novels are in the closet because I paid too much attention to those technical aspects of writing and got lost in them, although the 2nd one did generate some interest. This time I'm just writing my story. Much better and actually enjoying it more.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:27 am

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party