[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What are your top 3 writing tips? : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What are your top 3 writing tips?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Dreaming Imrryr
Sergeant First Class

What are your top 3 writing tips?

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:50 am

Hi everybody. :)

What are your top 3 writing tips that you have heard or came up with yourself?

williamadams

Re: What are your top 3 writing tips?

Postby williamadams » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:11 am

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:04 pm

For me - set a goal. When do you want your draft done by? Then chunk it down into smaller parts. For example, there are basic templates to follow for word count in genres. I would stick to those ballparks. The chance of you being the outlier is slim. Remember, writing is a business. So let's say you want your idea to pan out between 80 and 90 thousand words - you then divide that by the end date of your goal. So, let's say you want to complete the draft in 90 days. That's a 1,000 words a day. Can you commit to that?

I've written several first drafts to books - They generally take me about 4 months. I always say I'll do it in three but it takes four. The great thing about goals is that they point you in the direction you need to go. Goals are measurable and flexible. I write my word counts on a calendar to see how I am doing. Some weeks I am exceeding, others I am not - but it keeps me honest.

As for outlining and planning and all that - I think that is up to whatever style fits you. I write. I do research where needed as I go along. And sometimes, just to get the ideas down, I research on the second draft. Organization comes after the first draft. I want to see what I have first before trying to fit all the pieces into place. I don't like forcing things in. Rather, I massage the book and shape it around. After the second or third draft, I then send it out to readers to give me notes, then make additional changes off that.

But, first and foremost - Set Goals for yourself and write those goals down so you can see them everyday!

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:19 pm

1. Butt in chair
2. Select writing instrument
3. Write until you've achieved a significant amount of words.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Dreaming Imrryr
Sergeant First Class

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi everybody. :)

Here are my top three tips on writing, use these tips at your own risk, I am not responsible for the failure of your book if the following tips are used:

1.) Read a lot of books to give yourself the "feel" of how writing is normally presented, the more you read the better.

2.) Write a lot to get a lot of practice in, theory only gets you so far, actual practice will help develop your actual writing style. And actual practice may present questions and problems that you haven't read about yet and provide you things to research. You can read about playing baseball, but you won't know how good you actually are until you play baseball and you also won't get better unless you practice playing baseball.

3.) Emotion is the universal coin that authors deal in. If your story doesn't move readers in some kind of positive or negative emotion, then your story probably bored them.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:38 pm

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:43 pm

Don't get caught up in the "techniques" of writing. It's only difficult if you make it difficult. Just tell me a story, and then tell me another, and then another, and then another.
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:47 pm

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:24 pm

i found this advice for scripts
is a novel really any different from a script when it comes to the creation of it not the format

Few writers, spend enough time sorting out a story before they dive into a first draft.

Because writing dialogue’s the fun part, right? Throwing characters at each other, nailing clever lines… And because working on story structure is, well, work, and no writer worth his or her salt is a fan of that.

For some extremely talented writers, that’s no problem, they don’t need to prep. They’re able to magically spew out a tightly-structured script on the fly, and it’s smart and funny and fresh, and blah blah blah—yeah, I hate those writers.

Unfortunately, for most of us, we need a road map to stay on course or we end up with some kind of mangled patch job that only our moms could love.

But we’re not talking about traditional story outlines . We’re talking about something called a “beat sheet,” something you create BEFORE jumping into an outline or treatment. It’s an extra step that sounds like more work but that—guaranteed—actually saves a writer time and improves one’s chances of success.

Okay, so just what is a beat sheet? And how many beats should a story have? And how do beats relate to a story’s dramatic structure?

Well, first, to be clear, when I say “beat sheet,” I do not mean the industry definition that refers to a story outline written for one episode of a drama series. Nor do I mean the Blake Snyder Beat Sheet version described in the venerable Save the Cat screenwriting guides, which some deem too prescriptive and restrictive to suit every story. We’re talking about a one-page list of major plot points, the skeleton of your story. It’s an at-a-glance blueprint that makes it easy, or at least easier, to quickly identify story problems and missed opportunities.

and i add
when you go on vacation dont you pick a location and use a map to find the best easiest way to get there
or do you just load up the car and start driving hoping to get somewhere you would want to be

bluenotes
Private E-1

Postby bluenotes » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:44 am

Forget about inspiration, being in the mood and all of that baloney.

Just sit down and write your butt off, you can edit what you wrote later.

Next

Return to Tips and Advice