[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Are local author book fairs worth attending? : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Are local author book fairs worth attending?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Are local author book fairs worth attending?

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:17 pm

A local bookstore is hosting a local author book fair next month for local authors to display & sell their books. I've never attended one of these events, and I'm trying to decide if I should go or not. I was told by another local author to bring about 10 to 15 copies of each book title that I have for sale and bring a small table/pen for signing. It sounds like fun to meet fellow authors and potential readers, but I'm honestly not sure its worth the effort to set up for 4 hours if I can only expect to sell about ten copies. If there are no big name authors coming to this event, I'm not sure if it will be well-attended or not. Also, I think its an outdoor event, so obviously the weather (rain) could make or break the event.

What are your thoughts on these types of events? Are they worth going? What do you recommend bringing besides a stack of books and a nice signing pen?
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

williamadams

Re: Are local author book fairs worth attending?

Postby williamadams » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:56 pm

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:56 pm

I don't want to offend you, mikey-boy, but your attitude seems self-centered to me. Don't you want to meet other authors in your locality? When our local Borders (... do miss them, now they're gone) held a book-signing event for six local authors I made three new friends, and I sold four books which made the effort well worthwhile in my opinion.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:30 am

I've been doing one for two years and this year will be my third. I think they can be worth doing. I've sold over 20 books at each of them. I added another to the list this year for April. You won't know until you do it.

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:14 pm

Oldtimer,

No offense taken. I'm just thinking I'd rather attend a meeting for authors to meet other authors rather than attend a book fair where the authors are more or less stuck to a designated table (hoping customers will come by). My books are non-fiction and not necessarily targeted at the general public, so I'm not sure how many sales I could realistically expect. If my goal is book sales, I'm guessing my time is probably spent doing other things to sell my book to my target audience. If my goal is meeting other authors, I'm guessing I would do better to attend a local authors meeting. For example, tonight I attended a meeting for our local writers guild and met several local authors. It was great fun. Tomorrow night, I'm attending a meeting from a different writing organization and look forward to meeting more authors.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:32 pm

Brien,
You are right about that... won't know if its worthwhile unless I try it once. I'm still hesitant about doing this particular book fair as it looks very small. I'd rather try one at a larger book store that draws bigger crowds.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

Return to Tips and Advice