[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What are your top 3 tips for coming up with book titles? : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What are your top 3 tips for coming up with book titles?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Dreaming Imrryr
Sergeant First Class

What are your top 3 tips for coming up with book titles?

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:31 pm

Hi everybody. :)

What are your top 3 tips for coming up with book titles that have heard of or came up with yourself?

williamadams

Re: What are your top 3 tips for coming up with book titles?

Postby williamadams » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:57 pm

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:35 pm

I work the other way round. Titles come to me unbidden. Then I write stories around them.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:05 pm

I work just the opposite of Dorothy (except for the six-book "High School" series). I'm usually well into the writing of the novel before I "discover" the title of it.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Dreaming Imrryr
Sergeant First Class

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi everybody. :)

Here are my top three book title tips, use these tips at your own risk, I am not responsible for the failure of your book if the following tips are used:

1.) The title should be genre appropriate, and/or be mysterious (mysterious titles aren't just for mystery novels), and/or be action oriented (action titles aren't just for action/adventure novels). Titles for middle grade audiences should be appealing to middle grade readers.

2.) The title should stand out from the cover. And the title and author name should be in different fonts and different colors to varying degrees of difference. Weird font effects should not be used if they make the font hard to look at.

3.) Older readers can appreciate a title designed for younger readers, but younger readers probably would'nt appreciate a title designed for older readers as much as the older readers. For example, older readers can appreciate the title Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, but younger readers probably would'nt appreciate a title called The Stone as much as much as older readers can.

Action oriented title:
The Hunt for Red October

Genre appropriate title:
Starship Troopers

Mysterious title:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Return to Tips and Advice