[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How to write the 'body' of a novel? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How to write the 'body' of a novel?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Commissarkav
Private E-1

How to write the 'body' of a novel?

Postby Commissarkav » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:18 am

Hi all,

I'm not sure if it's just a problem of my own making, but I have been trying to get a story of mine finished for the past three or so years! I have the general gist of how I want the plot to progress/ the end result. I am pretty happy with the first chapter, but one thing keeps bothering me; just how 'abrupt' it all is. I just can't seem to bulk it out, I'm not sure where I'm going wrong here. For example, most of my chapters only seem to last four- six pages; as I'm aiming for around 12 chapters, I'm not at all happy with this.
Could anyone give me some advice as to how to write 'longer' if that makes sense? Everything seems to be progressing too fast, and I'm getting nowhere near novel size; it's reached the point where my story is too big to be a short story, yet too short to be a novel, it's stuck in a sort of limbo.

Thanks,

Mike :D

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: How to write the 'body' of a novel?

Postby cynicalwanderer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi Mike,

I wouldn't worry too much about the size of this or that chapter at this early point - just get the first draft down first, and then worry about rearranging the structure later. Better to have the story move at a lean and mean pace, with scenes ending when they're naturally ready to end, than to bloat out the chapters with filler just to reach some arbitrary mental "expected" word or chapter count. Perhaps when you come to edit, with your holistic view of the previous draft in mind, you could combine two short chapters into one longer one, with a scene break rather than a chapter break, for example. Similarly, you'll be better equipped with that first draft in hand to be able to spot which sections could best be lengthened to get the novella up to novel length, and you might even have a brainwave of new scenes to add in between.

Either way, the uncertainty you're feeling now is because you're trying to make editing and word-count-related decisions before you've even got the initial word count foundation to work with, so I'd advise you to just let your creativity flow for now and get the first draft down on paper, and then worry about the rest later.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:29 pm

furyzombie
Private E-1

Postby furyzombie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:31 am

Return to Writers' Block Party