[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Is Latin Really Dead? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Is Latin Really Dead?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Alice Clay
Private E-2

Is Latin Really Dead?

Postby Alice Clay » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:16 am

I grew up in a Latinate household where my mom and older brother would tell jokes and laugh in Latin and my mom force-fed it to me at a young, rebellious stage in my life (grades 6-8). Now I'm not so sure. I have recently gotten in the game again, self-teaching with the Great Courses and Latin For Americans. Wheelock's was so dry and complicated I sent it back but I am rethinking that as more of the language comes back to me. And why did I do this? I have a vague notion that a working knowledge of Latin may help my word choices, syntax, sentence structure, grammar and style. Or is this just another procrastination and I need to go back to my word processor tab?

robjvargas
Captain

Re: Is Latin Really Dead?

Postby robjvargas » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:21 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:48 pm

cjr1977
Private E-1

Postby cjr1977 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:07 pm

It may be a dead language but it certainly is useful to have some knowledge of it. I was a biology major in college and one of the required books for the first semester biology course was the dictionary with all the latin roots, prefixes, etc. Important for science majors because so many science words share the prefix or suffix or root and so by studying and understanding the meanings of these parts of the words you can start to dissect other words with similarities and be a step ahead in figuring out what the words meaning is. Maybe it isn't quite as important for other endeavors but I've found having even that rudimentary knowledge of latin to be beneficial when I come across a word I've not seen before but that has one of those parts that I already know.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:51 am

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:31 am

At this point, Latin is a language for those who love and have an appreciation for the history and evolution of language OR for those who want to study that period in time so they can read and interpret those works written in that era. However, like other languages that are essentially extinct, there is no practical, everyday use for it. I think, if you are going to learn a language, learn one you can converse with other people.

Dreaming Imrryr
Sergeant First Class

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:49 am

Return to Writers' Block Party