2017 Reading Challenge

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
DrG2
Colonel

Re: 2017 Reading Challenge

Postby DrG2 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:09 pm

7. Paradise, by Toni Morrison. ****1/2. An all-black town is founded in Oklahoma, primarily by black men who had been influential immediately after the Civil War, but lost that influence when whites voted them out. Covers a couple generations of the descendants. More of a collection of novelettes than one coherent throughline. The town is the main "character". Includes "colorism" among the blacks - - the darkest are the ones in power - - and racism against the white women who live in a nearby "convent".

Toni Morrison is a helluva writer.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:11 am

2. Extinction Cycle: The Bone Collector By Jeff Olah
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

lifeontherun
Private First Class

Postby lifeontherun » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:33 pm

I am currently reading THE GIVENNESS OF THINGS ESSAYS by Marilynne Robinson. The reading is continuing to improve my perspective as a woman in my seventh decade.

Gertegan
Private E-1

Postby Gertegan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:54 am

I just want to get back into reading regularly. Between work and kids, when I do sit down to read I barely make it 2 pages before I fall asleep. Did grab a stack of cozy mysteries this weekend. We'll see how that goes.

hammer

Postby hammer » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:42 pm

3. The German Girl by Armando Lucas Correa ***
Sad story about a young girl and her parents escaping Nazi Germany. Though a tragic story, I found it a bit boring at times. There was a lot of people thinking about their lives and each other, but rarely actually doing anything.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:46 am

8. The Extra by Elizabeth Sims 4 stars

I couldn't tell until half-way through Chapter 4 where this story was going. Chapter 1 dwelt on Rita Farmer as she gets mistaken for a real cop when a teenage boy is beaten up. Chapter 2, however, tells us that George Rowe is being hired to find a missing pedigree beagle. No mention of Rita Farmer. Chapter 3 goes back to Rita. No mention of George Rowe. Chapter 4 is about George but then - aha! - on page 38 we learn that he is in love with Rita. It is the first indication that these two characters even know each other. George becomes involved in the mystery Rita is trying to solve (i.e., who is blackmailing the Iron Angel, and why?), occasionally putting in a bit of effort to find the dog. Gradually the two threads come together and both mysteries are solved.
The book is an okay read in my opinion. I could have done without the detailed references to drug use. From the comments on the back of the book, I expected more excitement. Then I realized that those compliments referred to another book in the series and I was cross with myself for not spotting that before I started to read. If The Extra is typical of the others in the series, I will give them a miss.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:26 pm

8. Damned, by Chuck Pahlaniuk. **** I had read "Doomed" last year, not knowing it was the sequel to Damned. I absolutely loved Doomed, and think it's a must-read for anyone who contemplates writing first person present tense. I didn't like Damned as much, but you still get a heavy dose of Pahlaniuk "voiceyness." A prepubescent girl finds herself in Hell. Part Judy Blume, part Dante Alighieri.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:07 pm

9. Miranda and Caliban, by Jacqueline Carey. ****1/2. This is a "prequel" to Shakespeare's "The Tempest," showing the childhood relationship between Miranda and Caliban. It's not 100% faithful to the play, and the last 40 pages or so overlap with the play. I read it because I'm acting in "the Tempest" this spring. I thought the book is very well written. (After Caliban learns to speak) the novel alternates chapters in first person narrated by the two main characters.

I might read Carey's original fantasy novels (Kushiel's Dart, etc.) since I liked this so much.

furyzombie
Private E-1

Postby furyzombie » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:44 am

I set a lofty goal this year of 52 books as I'm a pretty fast reader; however, I'm quickly falling behind!

So far I've been focusing mainly on thrillers.

1. The Last Days of Jack Sparks by Jason Arnopp
2. Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll
3. You Will Know Me by Megan Abbott
4. Girls on Fire by Robin Wasserman [The best one I've read this year BY FAR! I highly recommend this one, especially if you grew up in the 90s.]
5. Everything You Want Me to Be by Mindy Mejia
6. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty [I'm currently reading this one but having some trouble getting momentum going. I'm not sure if this has anything at all to do with the story, which I like very much, but more to do with my inability to focus sometimes!]

It's nice to see other people's growing lists! Happy reading, everyone!

Alice Clay
Private E-2

Postby Alice Clay » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:28 pm

My reading goal is to dial back. I used to give authors 50 pages to get my attention. No more. 10 pages. There's too many other books out there. And I should be writing anyway.

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party