[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How do you handle NEGATIVE REVIEWS of your book? : Tips and Advice • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How do you handle NEGATIVE REVIEWS of your book?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
williamadams

Re: How do you handle NEGATIVE REVIEWS of your book?

Postby williamadams » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:34 am

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:36 am

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:12 am

No? Well then, I guess we'll just have to go ahead and presume you didn't write it after all.

Because a person would have to be a particularly despicable toad to do something as slimy as anonymously sabotaging a fellow community member's book ratings, and then return to the forums to offer disingenuous "advice" to the author about how to deal with the criticism.

So since we're assuming William didn't write it, and surely nobody else here would do something so cowardly, it would seem the culprit must therefore remain at large.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:51 am

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:29 pm

With 30 reviews and only 1 being that negative you can always chuck it up as an outlier. You start getting enough reviews, someone is not going to like your work, it's just the way things work. I know when I read bad reviews about something I may purchase, I look for the content within that review - is it insightful, are there examples given, etc.., A bad review for the sake of being bad doesn't sway me, especially if those bad reviews are minimal compared to the positive ones.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:45 pm

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:57 pm

You can tell the friends and family reviews when the book is loaded with a bunch of 4-5 stars reviews in the first couple weeks of the book coming out. Unknown or little known authors do not accumulate those kind of reviews nor the numbers that quickly.

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:11 pm

Here is the 1-star review of my book:

By systems thinker:
"as an adjunct professor i disagree vehemently with many of his suggestions

he does have some good ideas
but he has some bad ideas
some are innocuous but irrelevant and many of those are iffy
depending on the exact class

every class is different
one size fits nobody

if you can tell which is which you dont really need this book
and if you cant tell which is which then this book could be dangerous for teaching career

i wish he had written a book on taxes where he should have more knowledge to share"

My initial thought was that this person may be a disgruntled former student (luckily, I don't have many of those as far as I'm aware), or perhaps it was just a jealous person who saw my recent post on FB (or online author forums like this one) celebrating the fact that this book was selected for a book award. The snarky remark about me being better off writing a book about taxes was classy! LOL In any case, I seriously doubt this person actually read my book b/c it was not a verified purchase and this person gave no examples or specific points about the book that he/she disliked and didn't recognize anything as valuable (not even my discussion on the Socratic method). The worst part for me is that this poor rating hurt my book's average rating significantly and there is really nothing I can do about it.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:08 pm

you got me curious
i went and looked

dont pass gas
do skits
magic tricks
sing and dance
impersonate celebs
zany hats
and costumes

dont know how good the advice was on the other items that had potential
but reading that list of ideas in the TOC could make somebody think this is silly advice

another reviewer (mitchell alegre) said:
Some of the edgy suggestions may be inappropriate for some campuses
and contrary to some individual’s values.
which certainly supports the other negative review although he gave more stars for the good parts

john b said: Some of the author's anecdotes are... disturbing.
again lending some credence to the annoying review

and many of the 5 star reviews are short which screams friends and family

as to socratic method

dont know what you said
but as a student i found it to be a TOTAL fail
hard slow inefficient and frustrating

there are 4 main ways people prefer to learn
and for me at least two or three of those would be far better

so tell us
how do you use socratic method
and how did the students react to it

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:11 am

Hmm. It sounds as though williamsadams is actually defending the 1-star review. I honestly don't know why you would do that.

At least in my eyes, this poorly written 1-star review was garbage. Nothing more. It didn't point to a single example or concrete idea offered in my book or otherwise offer a shred of constructive criticism. According to Systems Thinker's history of reviews, he has reviewed at least 10 books about book writing in the past few months and half of them were either 1-star or 2-stars. Really? Come one. That is ridiculous by anyone's standards.

I'm still not convinced that "systems thinker" actually read my book (his review was not a Verified Purchase). The only recognizable point made in his/her lame 1-star review was that he/she did not like my book and made a personal attack by suggesting that I'd have been better off writing a book based on my day job. Not exactly a defendable review if you ask me.

In any case, I don't feel obligated to defend my book's worthiness to anyone who hasn't actually read it (or anyone who hasn't read more than the TOC). Not that it matters, but many of the college teaching tips in my book are offered as a way to bring fun back into the classroom. It's called humor. Not everyone get's it. IMHO, we have way too many stiff college professors who stand at the head of the classroom and read verbatim from the text book in a monotone voice. Students deserve much more than that in my opinion. My book simply offers practical ideas to correct that situation (for the betterment of the students). Luckily, the vast majority of my students seem to appreciate my sense of humor as do many of my book's readers, including John B. (whom you cited above) when he stated in his 4-star review of my book that my "anecdotes are hilarious."

Bottom line is that Systems Thinker (whoever he/she is) did a disservice to me and all of my book's potential readers when he/she left a poorly written 1-star review without a shred of concrete criticism. Same goes for the many other 1-star book reviews that he/she left. Does Systems Thinker realize that the books he gave 1-stars to were actually worked on by authors for many years (4 years in my case) and at great personal expense and sacrifice?
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Advice