[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Great Writers that could/cannot not write : Book Discussion • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Great Writers that could/cannot not write

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Alyosha
Private E-1

Great Writers that could/cannot not write

Postby Alyosha » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:31 pm

Not writers you think write crap...like say you hate Nicholas Sparks novels or that Stephen King is a hack. But great writers that you think are great writers, that cannot write!

I'll name 3:

1. Victor Hugo
2. Tom Clancy
3. Harper Lee (half the time, that is To Kill a Mockingbrd was well-written, but Go Set A Watchman, was badly written)

And what I mean is that they create great stories and invite great thought...but, their style is just "and they got published? They got an agent to read and take those first ten pages?" Yet: "Such a great book!"

I hope people know what I mean.

robjvargas
Captain

Re: Great Writers that could/cannot not write

Postby robjvargas » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:36 am

I think I know what you mean, Alyosha.

Problem is... they're great writers, and I'm not.

It's like the people in those competition shows, they audition, some of them say they love the judges, and when they are rejected, they then say the judges don't know squat.

Really? They've built careers already. They have the market that says their reading speaks to some audience.

So... in the end, I wind up chucking these debates into the round file. Can they write? They DID. To success. What I think does not change what history has shown.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Alyosha
Private E-1

Postby Alyosha » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:16 pm

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:35 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

Alyosha
Private E-1

Postby Alyosha » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:14 am

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:43 am

BookLover31
Private E-1

Postby BookLover31 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:31 pm

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:06 am

I think one thing that often gets overlooked in discussions of writing "quality" is the reader, and the fact that readers, no matter how sophisticated, don't always want to read "great books". I like books that make me really think, and within that group, I may want to read something in the world of politics, or the "human condition", or a complicated spy thriller. And I want those books to be top grade, both in the technical and in the creative. But I also like books that let me relax, which might be a humorous murder mystery, a western, or yeah - a bit of erotica. In those books, I'm willing to overlook the technical, for the most part, because I just want something to pass the time.

Some books are great for the first group; some books are excellent for the second. Whichever group they're in, if they do their job well, they're going to sell.

Return to Book Discussion