[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Advice on getting started : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Advice on getting started

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Advice on getting started

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:18 am

And of course, william, you have facts and figures to back up your claims of that "vast majority", right? :roll:

Why is it so hard for you to accept that people can work differently than you do and still be successful? Is it because you can't do these things so nobody else should be able to either? Your obstinacy is unbelievable.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Primus2
Private E-1

Postby Primus2 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:12 pm

Mina21
Private E-1

Postby Mina21 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:44 am

Read and write, man. That's the bread and butter of it.

rob40
Private E-1

Postby rob40 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:27 pm

Check my name.
40 is when I took it up more seriously. I always had ideas for everything; band names, computer games should have this or that, or I came up with short stories to tell my kids when they had trouble doing something; getting dressed or drawing a shape. I only later realized school never taught anything in useful ways for creative writing and at 40, I now had to do it myself. There are not many useful classes with which a working person can get involved. Local writing and review groups can help a bit, but really they need to control themselves and not just talk about story ideas and writing and BS the morning away.

There are a hundred thousand books about how to write and publish and look seriously at that. Because if that many people say their way is the best way, then that means none of them can agree and every single way on the shelf could just as easily not work at all for you. Happen to read the previous few posts to mine and see how that developed into a squabble or promoting a way or defending another way? Disagreement. So, look inside yourself when you read what you wrote and also look to how you do things in your life. How do you remember things? Can you maintain that memory without post-its and regurgitate whatever you had to remember by the end of the week? Or, do you need reminders and lists and memos to help? I frequently return from the store with one thing missing that was on the list; The damn bananas or the chair slider from the hardware store. If that's you, then the pants method of organic writing favored by King will probably not work and if anything a very lightweight outline of where the story goes may help you along at first until you get your own personal process working.

Learning to write at our ages is really about doing it and finding what happens. Are you finishing sentences preposition heavy? Or frequently starting them that way with a comma in the middle of everything? These things (not seriously wrong but a reader notices them) you don't notice until you put down a few short stories. You will start to critique yourself and things get better and better over time. You can write a sentence, you can get thoughts out, but catching your habits along the way before you put that word there is where it begins. you start seeing the sentences evolve, making it all sing. That takes the practice everyone talks about. And that, personally, I hate hearing.

They all say to write more and read more but within that, they do not explain anything at all about how. I hope I shed some light on that part of it above because, for anyone, it's only going to work when they find out what works for them by doing. We primarily learn by doing, it's a law of learning.

So just start writing and you'll learn more about the process and how you write so you can eventually identify and correct anything you didn't know you were doing. Enter little forum contests, throw some stuff up for critique, don't expect to get glowing reviews right away and most importantly, don't start with big novel projects. Start smaller with short works and you'll find your stories grow by themselves as you do.

Oh, enjoy making the stories! Have fun with it.

AND, I about forgot, I downloaded the widget; Grammarly. I eventually paid for the subscription but it shows you right there as you go some interesting things you didn't know you were doing. For a new writer, like myself, I can say that it is helping in general writing construction.
play/learning blog:

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Alice Clay
Private E-2

Postby Alice Clay » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:13 am

I am coming in late in the game, but there are 2 books for you to read. Stephen King's "On Writing" and Strunk & White "The Elements of style".

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:06 pm

Alice Clay
Private E-2

Postby Alice Clay » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:13 pm

Absolutely on King's book. But it motivates you in ways you can't imagine. He says if you found out you were really good at something ( like writing) why wouldn't you want to do it all the time? And Strunk and White. There are too many beginners who simply do not know proper english grammar and therefore try to change it and call it "modern". The "modern"and "new" dictionary inclusions make me want to punch holes in the drywall. There are times you can break the rules but you have to know what the rules are before you can break them. And the famous "Omit needless words" does not mean chop your sentences in half. It means every word choice must further the story. That's why you have to read the entire short book and not mindlessly quote from it. Maybe 500 years from now others will read our prose and understand it as much we understand Shakespeare today. Stranger things have happened.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:50 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party